Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Super Tuber Women!

Okay, so it's not a bike tour, but it was an adventure nonetheless. Annette, Lorraine and I are at Lorraine's cabin north of Leavenworth by the whopping metropolis of Plain. Today the weather was forecast to be 82 and partly cloudy. Sounded like a good day to float the river (the Wenatchee that is). Since we neglected to bring our own tubes, we rented from Rob of "Let's Go Tubing!" (kind of sounds like a bike team).
We got our tubes (very nice with nylon covers complete with back rests and beverage holders). We also were provided with paddles (aka frisbees). We decided to float from the headwaters at Lake Wenatchee to the bridge at Plain. Rob would have picked us up, but we parked the van at the bridge and drove Annette's car to the tube place. Rob said it would be about a 4 hour float.
Off we went down the river. It was warm with clouds (just as forecasted). Well, we floated along for awhile. Annette decided we should play frisbee with the paddles. I was NOT for that idea and neither was Lorraine! But still, Annette threw the frisbees at us! When I threw it back she didn't catch it and had to flail after it.
As we continued to float, more clouds rolled in and in the distance we could hear thunder. GREAT!!! Then, it rained abit. ALSO GREAT! After we got past the tubing company take out place the river had moments of picking up speed. The tubes we were in were pretty stable. What was also nice was the fact that our butts weren't sitting in the river. Don't get quite so cold (the river was 62 degrees according to Rob).
As we were floating, Annette angered the rain gods by saying it would probably come pouring down right as we got to the van. BUT NO! It decided to pour right then and there! Did make the fish jump though. Annette was for pulling off for abit, but I just wanted to keep going (WHAT! Was I afraid of getting wet?).
Soon enough it stopped raining, but the thunder continued (fortunately, never saw lightening). As we got closer to the bridge, the water got more rapiddy (that's a word right?). As I was manuevering my way through some fast water, I didn't see this big dip coming until it was too late to go around it. I was saying, "No, no, no!" then, SWOOSH! Down the dip I went and due to the stability of the tube, managed to stay on it (albeit with a good soaking wave washing over me). I paddled over to the side of the river at the bridge and hauled myself and my tube out of the river (most important to flip the tube over and empty the water out of it). Lorraine came in next and got out without problems. Annette came in and, having lost one of her paddles, had to flail madly to make it over to the bank. It was touch and go, but she did it. Of course it was raining again, but we were done after 3 1/2 hours on the river.


Tony said...

Hi Colleen, glad you are enjoying the vacation in Kansas, be careful!
Two CS'ers are here using your blog as a guide for their own trip south and they say thanks for passing on the first hand reports of what to expect.
Take care, Tony

Colleen said...