Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Last Boat Ride

This morning I spent a leisurely morning with the Conover family. Olivia and I looked at pictures on my iPad. Jennifer made delicious pancakes and I even got to take the leftovers with me!

I hit the road at about 10:30. I picked up the Tommy Thompson Trail then headed up Hwy 20 toward Deception Pass. It was a beautiful day to be going over the bridge. Lots of other people had the same idea.

This time, instead of turning off before Oak Harbor, I decided to ride Hwy 20 through Oak Harbor. I don't know that it was necessarily shorter, but it was different. I was back on the route at Madrona Way and rode into Coupeville. I was going to stop for ice cream, but the place I was picturing in my head never materialized. Oh well, I didn't really need ice cream anyway.

As I was heading out of Coupeville, a couple of folks on recumbents caught up to me. They went ahead, but then I met up with them at the ferry terminal. They were Chet and Lynn from Port Townsend. They were out for the day, but have done some serious touring. There was also another touring cyclist going down the Coast. He was from upstate New York. Chet and Lynn invited him to stay at their place for the night. Me, I'm headed to the park so I can get an early start in the morning for tomorrow's 64 mile day to Potlatch.

There were a number of bikes on the ferry and not a single one used the second level bike racks. The ramp is just too steep to get a bike up (and even harder to get one down).

Currently, I am at Safeway in PT where there is free wifi. As soon as I get this posted I'll head to Old Fort Townsend State Park. I'm not worried about the park being full because they have a large Hiker/Biker site.

Here are just a few photos from today. Also a couple of the photos from yesterday and my princess Bandaids.

No comments: