Thursday, May 11, 2017

He's Ready!

It's just four days until I leave for Minneapolis. A couple of days ago I gave Tilmann a bath. Today I dismantled him and packed him in his case. The last time I flew with him I managed to get him taken apart and packed in a little over an hour. Not today! It has been awhile, so I am definitely out of practice. Fortunately, I still have all the directions on my iPad (complete with photos). I did take better care to make sure everything is sufficiently padded and protected. I had planned to take both front and rear disc rotors off, but the rear one is too complicated with the Rohloff. I just protected it with cardboard. The front disc rotor was no problem to remove. I think it's more at risk anyway. Tilmann in the case (not including the racks) comes in at 45.2 lbs. All the other gear in the rice bag (rear pannier, both front panniers, tent, and racks) is less than the bike. I'll carry on the other rear pannier (primarily packed with clothes) and my handlebar bag.   
Tilmann all packed as well as gear
The shuttle picks me up Tuesday morning at the pre-butt crack of dawn (2:45am). I'll try to get a few hours of sleep. I'm looking forward to some nicer weather!

No comments: