Thursday, March 15, 2018

Mar 16: Climbing to a Mountain I Couldn’t See

Today was another day of mostly climbing. The first part wasn’t too bad, then there was a big descent to cross the Forth River. Then the steep climbing really began. There were switchbacks, and just straight on up. At one point there was a truck behind me. Not only was there no place to pull off, but if I had, I would have had a hard time getting started! Finally, the road made a turn, and there was a place to pull off. I have to say, that truck, and all the other vehicles, for that matter, have been really courteous. No one has tried to squeeze by me, always waiting until it is safe to change lanes to pass.

If you look closely, you can see the road I came up

 

 

Still climbing

 

Finally the top of the really hard part in Moina

 

Kilometer-wise, today was pretty short at 39km (that’s somewhere around 24 miles), but it still took me 4:30 of ride time. Admittedly, I didn’t stop much because it was raining and cold when I stopped. 

Rainy on the Middlesex Plain

 

 

Not long after I made the final turn to go to Cradle Mountain CP, I saw a cyclist ahead of me pulled off the road. Of course, I stopped. Stewart is from Adelaide, and is going the opposite direction as me. He is staying here in the park, but he got here before me, so I don’t know what site he is on.

 

I went to the Cradle Mountain Lodge to get a bite to eat. I had a hot chunky beef pastry. It was pretty good. In the gift shop, I bought a Parks Pass. I will be going to a few of Tassie’s National Parks. A day pass is $16. A pass, good for 2 months, is $30 for a cyclist. The pass also allows me to camp in NP campgrounds. 

 

The caravan park is a Discovery Holiday Park. They are more expensive ($23 vs the $10/night I have paid the last two nights). One most awesome amenity this place has is a kitchen with a fireplace. The fire felt so good! I was able to mostly get dried out. There was a brief lull in the rain that enabled me to get my tent set up. I set it up under the fly in case it’s raining tomorrow. 

My not terribly exciting Campsite

 

 

As I was walking to restroom, I saw two little wallabies. I tried to get a photo, but they hopped off too quickly. There are also wombats and Tasmanian Devils here. They all like to get into campers food, so I think I will keep my panniers in the kitchen. Given my druthers, I would sleep in the kitchen. Unfortunately, there are signs strictly prohibiting sleeping in the kitchens!

The best part of this place!

 

 

 

Tomorrow is supposed to be mostly downhill. That’s fine by me! Now I am back on schedule. 

No comments: