Saturday, March 24, 2018

Mar 24: Kidnapped in Hobart!

No worries, I lived to tell the tale (or should I say, write the blog)! 

 

The day started out well enough. I had breakfast at the caravan park with my new friends, Danny, Marcelle, and their two boys, Remy and Jay (ages 4 and 2). Danny and Marcelle told me I should come to Phillip Island where they live. If they are back from Tassie by the time I head that direction (about 130km southeast of Melbourne), I may just do that.

Remy, Danny, Marcelle, and Jay

 

 

I said goodbye to them, and also to Jo and Leoni (from Perth), that I’d spent the evening before talking and having a great time. 

 

The A10 out of New Norfolk was quite busy. Even though it meant a steep 5km climb, I was happy to get off it and on to a quieter road. The steep road went up and over the Wellington Range. I really think the ride down the other side was much steeper than what I had ridden up. I’m glad I was going to Hobart, and not from Hobart!

Interesting sight off the A10

 

Climbing

 

Hobart and the water way down there

 

 

I came down into the suburbs of Hobart. I initially rode past the Intercity Cycleway, but saw it out of the corner of my eye. I turned around and went back to it. Just as I got onto the bike path, it happened. A group of about a half dozen cyclists stopped me and started firing off questions. One woman asked where I was staying tonight. I said I was going to check at the hostel. She asked if I knew about Warmshowers. I said I did, but I hadn’t had WiFi for the last four days and had, therefore, been unable to request a host. She said she was on Warmshowers and that they were going for coffee, and after that I should come home with her. Of course, I agreed immediately! Dorothy introduced herself, and the group of us continued on the bike path to a coffee shop that opens up specifically for this Saturday group of riders. There were a number of riders already there when we arrived (the group I had joined had gone a little further than the others). Dorothy’s husband, Greg, wasn’t feeling great, so he met us at the coffee shop with the van. We all enjoyed a snack, and I met a few of the other cyclists. Then it started to rain. Dorothy and I were going to put my gear in the car, then ride around a bit before riding to their house, but we decided to put the bikes in the van, and drive instead. Greg had plans to go to the library, so we went there first. 

 

Dorothy and I left Greg at the library and walked to the waterfront. We went to the Salamanca Market which is a craft market that runs every Saturday. It was quite a large market with a great mix of crafts, farmer produce, food, and entertainment. I bought a few small souvenirs, and we had a bite to eat.

Elizabeth St Mall

 

Fish Out of Water

 

University of Tasmania

 

Salamanca Market

 

 

This silo was turned into apartments

 

From the market we headed up to Dorothy and Greg’s house in the suburb of South Hobart. Dorothy said South Hobart used to not be a very desirable place, but now it has become very popular. There is a great path right up into the neighborhood through a nice park along a creek. We saw this baby wallaby, and these odd birds.

Baby wallaby

 

 

Funny bird

 

Greg and Dorothy have a beautiful home. The beagle, Matilda, greeted us when we arrived. They also have a young man from Lithuania staying with them while he is attending the University, studying forestry. 

My home for the next two nights

 

 

Dorothy and I retrieved our bikes and my gear from the van. I showered, then did my laundry (it was definitely time for some clean clothes). I was able to finally post the last four days of blogs.

 

Dorothy and Greg had plans to go to dinner with some friends. They invited me along. Everyone came to the house first, had a bit of snacks, then walked the 10 minutes to the restaurant. It was a Thai place. It was great fun getting to meet and make more friends. 

From the left: Greg, Joan, Sue, Dorothy, Sue, Richard, Di, Robert

 

 I’m not sure what I am going to do tomorrow. It is supposed to rain, so I’ll wait and see. It was such luck to happen to be on the bike path at just the right moment! A couple of minutes later, and I would not have met these awesome people. My weather karma may not be working, but my meeting people karma is in full force! 

No comments: