Friday, April 20, 2018

Apr 18: It’s Like Having a Shell to my Ear All Day Long

Day two of the Great Ocean Road, and the sun has finally joined the party! It was overcast at first, but then Mr. Sun managed to break through.
Sun is a comin’!

Since I had a short day today, I took my time. Besides stopping to take photos, I also did a little walk to Sheoak Falls. It was 1.2km roundtrip away from the sound of the ocean for awhile. While I was walking along the trail, a kangaroo went bounding through the trees. I couldn’t get a photo. The Falls were nice.

Not massive, but pretty nonetheless.

The trail continued to Swallow Cave. Although there would have been a better view if I had gone around, I could see it wasn’t that big of a deal.

That’s it to the left.

I walked back to Tilmann. Just before I got back to the beginning, I saw this.

Yep...a snake. It wasn’t terribly large. In fact it was rather small. However, I don’t like snakes regardless of the size. I stomped my feet (the vibration is supposed to scare them off). The snake just looked at me like it was waiting for me to dance. It finally moved toward the edge of the trail, and I took the opportunity to skedaddle on out of there! I’m pretty proud of myself. I didn’t really freak out, and I don’t think I even curled my toes! 

Back on Tilmann, an hour had passed and I had gone just 6 kilometers. Then I went 4 whole kilometers without taking a photo! It was tough. The scenery and the roar of the ocean was just so spectacular. And, with the sun shining, I can see why this is such a popular road. 

See what I mean?

I came down to Wye River. There was a nice picnic area by the beach. It was close enough to lunch, so I stopped and made myself a sandwich.

Pretty nice lunch spot!

There were quite a few rivers. The road would wind along the coast, dropping down to cross a river, then go back up again with the crash and roar of the waves a constant. Like the title says, it was like having a seashell against my ear the entire day. There was also a lot of road work going on. Actually, it was great because that meant there would be stretches of no traffic coming up behind me (there are also a bazillion pullouts, so even when there was traffic, it was never long before I had a wide spot to let them go by). The flagger would also stop traffic behind me until I got through the construction.

I saw several road cyclists, and then, the best thing! Two women came toward me on touring bikes! We all hooted and hollered. They came over to my side of the road. It was the first time I had seen any touring cyclists since I left Melbourne, and women to boot! Their names were Max and Vanessa. They live in Perth, but had started their tour in Adelaide. This was their 12th or 13th day on the road. Max was my age, Vanessa was younger. They both gave me hugs. It was so cool! It was like we were long lost friends! They were both pulling single wheel trailers. Max also had a belt drive! They will be back in Perth by the time I get there. Hopefully I can see them again.

Vanessa and Max!

We said our safe travels, and goodbyes. Before we parted, they told me of a good place to stay in Apollo Bay. It’s a recreation and camping ground, so cheaper than the caravan parks. I rolled through Apollo Bay and found the camping ground.
Apollo Bay in the distance.

You would never know the ocean is just across the road behind me.

Even with taking my time, I still arrived at 2:00. It was very nice to have a shorter day! 



No comments: