Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Apr 4: I Think I Did More Climbing

Remember when I said I was going to go to Launceston via Lilydale? It was supposed to be less climbing, well, at least I wouldn’t have to do the 6km climb.  It’s true, I didn’t have to do THAT climb, but I had several others.

 

I got my usual (since the time change) start this morning. For the first time last night, I used my ear plugs. The road noise, and the Rodney-yelling-at-Niles noise warranted some ear pluggage. 

 

Not wanting to do the steep climb up into Scottsdale, I went back to the trail. I traded 1km of steep uphill for 3km of slightly down (after getting back up to the trail) and flat. It was a good exchange. Plus, I popped out right at the road I wanted to head to Lilydale. 

Lingering fog on the trail

 

 

At first it was quite nice downhill. I was thinking, wow, this is great! I’m so glad I went this way! Plus, because it was a “B” road, there were no logging trucks...really, very little trucks at all. 

 

Then it started getting more roller-like, only it seemed the downhills were shorter, distance wise than the uphills. But, I thought, at least I don’t have that steep climb with all the trucks and traffic! 

 

The rollers kept coming. Finally, I came down into Lilydale. It was close to noon, so I stopped and got a sandwich. Lilydale is known for their painted poles. Here’s some. 

Painted poles of Lilydale

 

 

I talked to a nice couple while I was eating. They said they had passed me on the road. I told them I get that a lot.

 

With 27km to Launceston, the hills kept coming. Oh, it wasn’t anything really terrible, just a lot of them. It was also pretty warm for a change. Finally I crested a hill, and could see Launceston in the distance. From there it was a long downhill to the East Tamar Hwy where I turned for more downhill toward the city center. 

Launceston down there

 

 

Because I was coming into town from a different direction, I really had no idea where I was. I just kept following the signs for the city center. Just as the road was getting quite freeway-like, I spied a bike path. I followed the path all the way until it went through Royal Park, and ended at a college. 

 

I decided my best course of action was to go to the Visitor Center. There I could inquire about where to stay.

 

At the VC, the lady checked the various backpackers, but they were all booked. I asked about camping somewhere near where I would be leaving town tomorrow. She said there was a Big 4 in Glen Dhu. That meant nothing to me, but she told me how to get there, and it is indeed on my way for tomorrow (I just need to see if there is a way I can get to the old highway without going on the “dual carriageway”). 

 

I’m really not a fan of bigger cities. Hobart, although larger, seemed quite easy to navigate. Of course, that probably was because I had Dorothy and Greg to help me. Launceston just seems like a big, busy city. Also, the Big 4 Holiday Park is nothing special (unless you like freeway noise), yet is by far the most expensive place I’ve stayed at ($44).

 

 

Tomorrow I’m on to Deloraine, then back to Devonport the next day.

No comments: