Sunday, May 13, 2018

May 12, 13, and 14

May 12: Back to the Coast


Today was 92kms from Lock to Elliston. I have now traversed the Eyre Peninsula, and am back to the Coast. It’s taking longer and longer for the sun to come up in the morning. This morning, I got dressed, and packed up with my headlamp on. Fortunately, the Laundry room (which I repurposed as a camp kitchen) had a light. I heated water for my breakfast with my stove. I’m still on the same fuel cartridge that I started with, but I’m thinking I may have to get another one in Ceduna. Hopefully, I can get a small one.


I was on the road earlier than usual, at 7:20, but there was no reason to hang around in Lock. Plus, the wind was minimal that early. There was also zero traffic. It being Saturday probably had something to do with the no traffic.


The land today was mostly fields of rocks. Some enterprising folks had made walls of the rocks, but I’m not sure what exactly they were walling in (looked like more rocks to me). There was one really big rock, okay, it was more like a mountain. I think it was called Mount Wedge.


I made up a bit of a song about the wildlife I spotted today. It’s to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas, but it’s only part of the song (I didn’t see THAT much wildlife!). It goes like this (starting with the 5 Golden Rings part):


Five hours of riding

Four green and yellow parrots

Three kangaroos

Two non-native deer

And an emu running through the bush


So, really, I saw 6 green and yellow parrots, but I didn’t see the last two until I’d already made up the song. I also saw a gazillion gallahs. A whole flock flew right over my head. If only I’d had my camera ready! I did get a photo of the deer. Also, these funny doves at the caravan park in Elliston.


The wind wasn’t too bad until about 20kms out from Elliston. The road turned more into the wind, thus making it harder. However, once I went up a rather lengthy climb, it was downhill to the Flinders Hwy, and the wind was behind me into Elliston.


I expected a bigger town (I don’t know why). Since it’s Saturday, the one and only grocery shut at 12:00. Oh well, I didn’t really need anything. This caravan park has a decent kitchen. When I checked in, I told the guy I’d like to be close to the kitchen. I don’t think I could be much closer without actually being IN the kitchen! Plus my tent is set up out of the wind (sort of) behind the rainwater tank. 


I walked down to the beach. It’s all limestone, and therefore pretty interesting looking. The Bay is nice, there’s even a swimming dock, but it’s way too cold now for that. 


The sunset was nice, but there is a nasty looking bank of clouds off shore. Could be rain a comin’. Tomorrow will likely be a shortish day to Port Kenny. It’s either 60kms to Port Kenny, or 137 to Streaky Bay. If I had a really strong tailwind, I could maybe make Streaky Bay, but I doubt it.


See the deer?

Mount Wedge, an apt name.

The Bay at Elliston.

Doves a struttin’ 

Goodnight from Elliston

Right next to the camp kitchen!

May 13: An Altogether Great Mother’s Day!


Well, no rain! It was really not a bad day weather wise. I started out late as I didn’t have far to go, just the 60kms to Port Kenny, buuuutttt...I didn’t go to Port Kenny, and I ended up riding 76kms.


Oh, I had plans to go to Port Kenny all the time I was riding, but first, how about this day? I started out by seeing 4 kangaroos. It looked like a mama and three progressively smaller joeys. First they were up on the hill, then they came down and hopped across the road. It was the mama first, then the next smaller, then the next smaller, then finally the smallest one. I really wish I’d been able to get a photo of them going across the road. It was so cute! Then, later, I saw 5 more kangaroos. They were lounging in the field. 


The weirdest thing I saw today was 3 cats. They weren’t all together. I saw them one at a time throughout the ride. There was nothing around, so they must have been feral cats. Since that means they are wild, I shall let them play in the wildlife spotting games. Still, the kangaroos won today. When I told the lady in the caravan park office about the cats, she said the feral cat population increases when the mouse population increases. Right now, with the lack of rain, the mouse population is pretty high. I’d say it’s good to have the cats!


The reason today was longer than expected was because I rode out to the Talia Caves. Well, actually, I just rode out to one of the caves. It was about 6kms down a bumpy dirt road to the first cave, Woolshed Cave. The caves are limestone that’s been eroded away by the ocean. It was pretty cool scenery, and worth the extra 12 kms. See the photos below.


My original itinerary had me going to Venus Bay—not Port Kenny. But, Venus Bay was off the Flinders Hwy about 4kms, and Port Kenny was on the Hwy. as I was counting down the kilometers to Port Kenny, I came to the turn off for Venus Bay. As I went by, I thought to myself, I bet the caravan park in Port Kenny is going to be like the one in Cleve (just behind the roadhouse). I turned around and went to Venus Bay. 


I’m so glad I changed my mind! Venus Bay has been one of my favorite campsites. I think most of the people here are here to fish, but the view is great and the people are very nice. The guy next to me introduced himself (Paul) right when I got here. Later, we sat and chatted for awhile.


When I went to fix my dinner, there were two couples cooking up a fish fry from today’s catch of King George Whiting, some calimari, prawns, chips, and salad. They asked if I needed to use the BBQ. I said no, I was just going to have some tortillas with cheese (I had eaten a big late lunch when I got here). They told me to put it away, and come join them for the fish fry. So I did. Michael and Robin, and Peter and Bette are from Brisbane. Michael said they come here every year and fish. I had the best evening with them! And the food was great too!


Tomorrow should be about the same distance as today to Streaky Bay, so no need for an early start. 


Go Roos go!


The walkway down to Woolshed Cave


Woolshed Cave


The mighty Southern Ocean


My Venus Bay campsite


Huge pelicans!


May 14: Happy Birthday to Connor!


I was hoping to see 24 kangaroos in honor of Connor’s 24th Birthday. Things were going good when I had seen 11 before I had even gone 11kms. Sadly, I didn’t see anymore after that bunch. Maybe tomorrow (when it is Connor’s Birthday at home) I’ll see 13 more.


The ride today was fairly uneventful. I passed by the turn for Murphy’s Haystacks, but saw them from a distance later from the road.


They are rocks (not hay).


I also stopped at a rest stop called Eyre’s Waterhole. It’s a well that supplied water for the explorers. There was actually some water in it.


Eyre’s Waterhole


I’m in Streaky Bay now. Again my campsite is on the shore. It’s a nice sunny day.



Tomorrow is a long day to Ceduna. Hopefully the wind will be favorable.














No comments: