Tuesday, May 1, 2018

May 2: A Day Of Metro Area Riding

With the exception of a short bit this morning, my whole day of riding was spent in the busy metropolitan area leading into Adelaide. The roads were busy...very busy. I did make one stop (mostly because I really had to pee) at a place called Piggles Park. Besides seeing a couple of Roos in the Park, there was an entire group in the adjoining field.

That’s too many to count!

Although it felt like I was riding on a freeway, at least there was a good shoulder. It seemed like I was continuously climbing, until I crested the top, and had this view of Adelaide and the coastal towns (or are they suburbs???).

It was all downhill from here.

I rolled into, I think it was Brighton, and stopped at a bike shop to inquire about a cycling map of Adelaide. Apparently, it’s only online. At least the guy was able to point me in the direction to get on the beach bike path to Glenelg where I could then follow the tram line into the city (a bike path goes along the tram line). 

When I got to Glenelg Jetty, I stopped for some lunch. There were tons of cyclists. Mostly all MAMILS and a few women too. They were heading out as I was stopping for something to eat. 

Bike way along the beach.

Glenelg Jetty.

Glenelg is on Holdfast Bay.

Bike path along the tram line.

I arrived at the end of the bike path at Victoria Square in the heart of Adelaide’s CBD. I plugged in the intersection where I knew there was a hostel, and Garmin routed me there. This morning my tent was, for the first time in days, dry. I told myself that was a sign that I could be sleeping indoors while in Adelaide (won’t have a wet tent sitting in its bag).

Sunny’s Backpackers is...in a rather old building, but with the exception of the hostel I stayed in in Cleveland, most hostels are. I’m in a six bed room with three other women. It has its own toilet and shower, which is a plus. Also, it only costs $21/night, which is cheaper than many of the caravan parks I have stayed in. I’ve paid for two nights. I’ll possibly do a third if the weather is still bad on Friday (it’s supposed to be bad tomorrow). 

Now I think I’ll go do a little exploring on foot. Scope out some dinner. The hostel serves pancakes for breakfast. It’s included in the room rate. Can’t beat that!






No comments: