Friday, July 5, 2019

OSBT Day 28-The End of the Scenic Bikeways

Well, I managed to stay awake and watch the fireworks last night. 




It was a pretty good show lasting about 30 minutes. After the show I retreated to my tent as I was tired, and the mosquitoes were out. 

I woke up early this morning and packed up as quiet as a mouse. I saw only one gal headed to the potty shacks as I made my way through the deserted midway. The park itself looked post apocalyptic, with overflowing garbage cans, and trash everywhere. 


I think the celebration continues through the weekend. Hopefully, they do some cleanup before things get going again. 

The roads were pretty quiet until I got closer to Salem. I stopped just before Salem at a convenience store for a snack (even though it was still early). The sign on the door said “bike friendly business”. They sold basic bike things such as tubes and a small selection of other things. I asked if they had a restroom. The gal said no. I told her to tell the owner that to truly be bike friendly, they should have a restroom. 

Navigating through Salem and Keizer was pretty easy. Lots of turns, but the signage was excellent. There is one weird thing for those going southbound (which is the suggested direction). As the route leaves a residential area (pretty much leaving Salem) onto, I think it’s River Rd., cyclists are supposed to ride against traffic. For awhile there is a raised bike path, but then it’s just a wide shoulder. The shoulder is nonexistent on the other side, and there is a fair amount of traffic. To me it is counterintuitive to ride against traffic, but it might be the best option in that section. It was fine for me as I was going northbound. 

With about 15 or so miles to go, I came to Willamette Mission State Park. I’d never been there before, so I decided to check it out. It’s a nice park with a Hiker/Biker area, and lots of bike paths. 





The path led to a little ferry that goes across the Willamette to another recreation area. 


I returned to the route. Going through the park maybe added a few miles. 

Today’s agriculture was a variety of nurseries, produce, and most of all hazelnut orchards, and hops. 

Pre-Nutella

Pre-beer

It was a nice round 50 miles to the Hiker/Biker campsite at Champoeg State Park, and the end of the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway. 



There is a group of about 7 twenty somethings from Portland that are just out for a couple of nights. There is also another couple that arrived, met some people who drove, and went off to a winery. A solo guy just rolled in too, so it’s a pretty busy place. 

Tomorrow I’m off to Vancouver to stay with my friends, Kim and Kevin. It’ll be my first bed since I left home. 


No comments: