Wednesday, September 27, 2023

FDOC-Day 5-Sunshine While I’m Riding Makes Me Happy!

YES YES YES!!! The sun finally came out! Last night it stormed the whole night. The wind was howling, and it rained torrentially. But, by 6:30, when I woke up, the rain was gone, and so was the wind. Of course, we still put our rain gear on because it couldn’t possibly not rain!

From the top of the berm looking down into the H/B camp. See the sunshine?

Matt spent a fair amount of time reorganizing. He had sent a few things home with Darlynn. We didn’t roll out until 9:45. We need to work on getting an earlier start. 

When we got back out to 101, I made the brave move of removing all my rain gear! I know, you are thinking it must have then immediately started raining. But, it didn’t! In fact, it was really nice!

Even the elk were enjoying the sun!

The wind was not the best, but I really didn’t care because it was SUNNY! We made our way to Seaside. I really needed to pee, so I continued on, while Matt waited for Sue in Gearhart. 

I got to the public restrooms in Seaside, did my business, then waited for Matt and Sue. And waited…and waited. Finally it realized I should check to see if there was a text. There was. They were well into Seaside, actually at the other end of the Prom. I texted I would ride toward them. Fortunately, as I was going along Holladay St., I saw Matt cross the road ahead. When I turned onto the road he was on, I saw Sue too. I rolled up behind them as they got to the statue at the Prom. A woman took our photos. 

The statue. 

The ocean. 

We went back a bit to go to the Ocean Bakery and Café for some lunch. Turns out it was in the Best Western. Nice place for grub. We all had clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. 

While we were eating, Sue was looking at the bus schedule, seeing it she could take a bus to Manzanita. Well, she couldn’t take one from Seaside, but she could take one from Cannon Beach. That was about 7 miles from Seaside…with a good climb in between. But, she had plenty of time before the bus got to CB. 

I rolled into CB after Matt, but before Sue. By the way, I even stopped to take my leg warmers off, and the sleeves of my jacket! It was like it was summer!!! Anyway, I stopped at the bakery in CBthi King Matt would be there. Nope. This time I checked my phone right away. He said he was near the Visitor Center, Public restrooms, and the Market. I looked up where that was, and rode on over. No Matt. Sue rolled up shortly after I got there. I had texted Matt again telling him I was there and where was he? He was at the Mariner Market and the Post Office. Sue and I rode over there, and finally found him. He gave each of us a caramel as a peace offering. It was delicious, and all was forgiven. Sue went back over to the Visitor Center (which was also the bus stop) to inquire about the us to Manzanita. It came shortly after 4:00. It was about 3:15. Matt and I headed out while Sue waited for the bus. For the first time since I’ve been riding down theOregon Coast, I didn’t stop at Julie’s quilt shop to say hi. If you are reading this, Julie, sorry about that. We were just running short on time, and still had many hills to climb. 

I had to stop to take this crappy photo of Haystack Rock…just because. 


I caught up to Matt at Tolavana, then he got ahead again, and waited at the Arch Cape tunnel. 

Matt heading into the tunnel. This is not a fun tunnel because it is uphill. Still, Matt pushed thebutton to activate the lights that let motorists know a cyclist (or 2) is in the tunnel. They are then supposed to only go 30mph. Actually, it wasn’t too bad. There were only a few cars that came up behind us. 

We did the climb up Cape Falcon, then down to Oswald West State Park. Matt waited at the top. I told him, unfortunately, we now had to lose all the elevation we had just gained, only to have to regain it. It old him the viewpoint near the top was worth it. 

I got to the viewpoint. No Matt. Then I saw him a couple of pull outs further. 

See the speck of yellow?

I still took this photo of Tilmann. 

Afterall, it’s my favorite viewpoint. 

When we finished the climb, we just had the ice long downhill to Manzanita. This time, I stead of going the highway to Nehalem, then somewhat backtracking to Nehalem Bay State Park, I had Google route us through Manzanita. It was a much better way to go, with less hills. 

We arrived at the park at 5:30 on the nose. The Ranger said, “You must be Sue’s friends.” Yay, Sue made it. Sure enough, she was getting her tent set up in the H/B camp. 

Igor my tent up, and just así was heading to the showers, a squall came through…sigh…more rain… At least it didn’t last too long. Dinner was cooked, and now I’m in my tent. 

Tomorrow we are heading out at 8:00. We have more miles to do than today, and we want to have time to stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and at Cape Meares. We’ll see how it goes…







1 comment:

Bob said...

Glad you had some sun finally.