Friday, September 29, 2023

FDOC Day 6-Thwarted Getting to Cape Meares

Believe it or not, it wasn’t raining again this morning!!! Sue was not feeling it this morning (probably dehydration on top of fatigue). I suggested she take the bus to Tillamook, and meet us at the Cheese Factory. That turned out to be a perfect plan. Matt wasn’t quite ready at the stated departure time of 8:00. I rolled out at 8:15. He said he had another 7 minutes. I think he left a wee bit later than that because it took him just under an hour to catch me (just as I was coming I to Rockaway). My average was 9.1 coming into Rickaway. Matt flew by me, so had to have been going much faster. 

Crossing the Nehalem River near Wheeler. 

I stopped in Rockaway at the restroom, then continued on. 

Getting closer toTillamook. 

I rolled into Tillamook about 11:30. Both Matt and Sue were waiting. We went in and had some lunch, then did the tour, then had some ice cream before heading back out on the road. 

Making cheese!

Moo…

Next up was Cape Meares. For years, the road has been closed due to a mud slide, but bikes could easily get through. I’ve personally ridden it twice, the most recent being last summer on the Trans Am. 

There was a road closed sign at the turn onto Bayocean Rd, but there’s always been a road closed sign. We worked our way around the Point to where the road turns to go up to Cape Meares. Uh oh…construction trucks. I said to Matt, “That doesn’t look promising.” Indeed, it was not. Turns out, after all these years (I think sometime around 2011), they are finally fixing the road. Apparently, it’s due to open on Sunday. 

So, we had to ride the 6.2 miles back to 131 (aka the Netarts Hwy). Then, Matt got a flat just before we got back to 131. It was about 3:30. We had 8.2 miles to go to Cape Lookout which included one good size climb. After some time thinking, we decided Sue and I would go, as we would be slower. 

We arrived at Cape Lookout at 5:00. We asked if there were any yurts available. There were! We got one! Good thing too, because it’s been raining a bit (of course it has).

Ah…warm and dry!

Tomorrow we head to Devil’s Lake in Lincoln City. It’ll be 43 miles. With a few good climbs. We will finish the 3 Capes Scenic Loop having made it to two out of three. 





No comments: