Wednesday, August 21, 2024

The Planets Aligned for a Most Perfect Day!

When I got home last night, I just checked Facebook for a moment before going to bed. Idae a few posts saying that Lael Wilcox would be coming through on her record setting ride around the world. The closest she would get to me was Rochester. She would be leaving from Elma sometime around 9:00 or 10:00am. Hmmm…could I get to Rochester before she did? We both had a similar distance to ride, but she is way faster. Perhaps if I left at 8:00, I would get to Rochester with plenty of time (especially if she left Elma closer to 10:00). 

Having just come off a four day bikepacking trip (see previous four posts), where I have been getting up early, it was no surprise that I was awake before 6:00. It’s amazing how quickly one can get ready when there’s no tent to take down. I was out the door by 7:20 (nothing like an extra cushion). I stopped briefly in Littlerock to check Lael’s tracker. She wasn’t moving yet. I had 8 miles to go to Rochester. 

I arrived just about 9:00. I went over to the IGA to use the restroom. When I came out, I checked the tracker again! She was on the move!

This was a bit later. 

I knew there was a crew waiting for her in Centralia. Chris Brewer saw I was in Rochester and asked me to keep him posted. I texted him when I saw her coming. Stephanie Earls and Sarah Brooks were also meeting up in Centralia. 


Here they come!!!

I was waiting on the corner of US 12 and Albany. They made the turn without even slowing down! I took off after them, and thanks to a guy named Matt who gave me a boost, I got on a wheel. 

Lael leading the way on the left (it’s against the rules for her to draft).

Once I could breath again, I moved up next to Lael and told her it was me, Colleen Welch! The shock and surprise on her face was great. See, I’ve known Lael since we did the Inaugural group start of the Baja Divide. The last time we saw each other was in La Paz, Mexico, where a bunch of us hung out at the hostel for a few days. 

We had a good chat catching up, then, as we were moving along at 18 mph, I finally had to drop back into the draft. Thankfully, it is flat to Centralia. We picked up a few more riders on our way into town, then, as we went by the Catholic Church, we picked up Chris, Steph, Sarah, and a few others (some had dropped off and turned around). Once again, we did not even slow down. Luckily to the new additions, we came to a red light, and everyone was together. 

I knew I would get dropped as soon as the first climb appeared (Centralia Alpha Rd), so I once again rode up to Lael to let her know I would be turning back before the climb. I introduced her to Chris (and told her Stephanie was my bikepacking adventure buddy), then took the opportunity to take this selfie. 

So so awesome to get to see Lael again, and in the midst of her setting a new world record!

Steph also turned around with me. We rode back into Centralia, and to Steph’s van. I could have ridden back to Oly with Steph, but I had made a train reservation for the 518 train north at 3:44. Steph said she was hungry, and it was almost noon. We went to Berry Fields Cafe (my favorite Centralia restaurant) and had some lunch. Then Steph headed home, and I headed to the train station. I went up to the ticket window to get the tag for my bike. The agent asks if I want it now, even though my train isn’t until later. I told him I wasn’t going to go anywhere, and commented that I had already missed the earlier train. Then he says, “Actually, that train hasn’t arrived yet. It’s late.” I asked if I could get on that train instead. He checked, and for $2.00 more, I could! So, instead of waiting until 3:44 (or whenever that train would arrive), I only had to wait 15 minutes! 20 minutes after boarding, I was back in Lacey! Home by about 2:45. 

Thanks for the ride, Amtrak!

What an amazing day! I’m so glad I got back on the bike (I know I would have kicked myself if I didn’t do it)! I look forward to continuing to follow Lael’s progress as she gets this new world record. If you are interested, she does a nightly podcast (yes, in addition to averaging 170 miles a day, she takes time to do a podcast), you can find it on Spotify. It’s called “Lael Rides Around the World”.



1 comment:

Ginny PC said...

So worthy of a blog post, Ms Super amazing Biker gal! What a special day. We are all so amped from spending a just few memorable moments with her! And now I’ll have to catch up with your adventure with M!!