Iowa, you kicked my butt in the beginning, but your dedication to trails made you one of my favorite states so far. I suppose I’ll have to come back and actually do RAGBRAI!
Most of today was spent still in Iowa.
 |
| Hello final Iowa shadow! |
Right out of Tipton, the road turned to gravel. And to make it extra special, it was fresh gravel…you know…the soft kind.
 |
| I think because I don’t have as much weight up front, Wanda did okay. |
 |
| A blue sky Iowa day! |
The gravel went for about 8 miles to Bennett. The remainder of the day was paved. The highway had rumble strips smack dab in the middle of the shoulder, making it difficult to ride not out in the lane. However, once I crossed into Scott County, there was no shoulder, and no rumble strips, which I preferred. If there is a shoulder of any kind, drivers expect cyclists to be on it. No shoulder means no choice, and the drivers go around.
 |
| Curious sculpture in a town that wasn’t a town (really just an intersection) |
The highway riding was about 23 miles until I came into the outskirts of Davenport. I stopped at one of the truck stops at the I-80 interchange for a snack. It was the first snack opportunity at about 30 miles in. I saw my first sign for Chicago.
The road into Davenport was pretty busy. I wasn’t in a hurry, so I just rode the sidewalk.
Eventually, I made my way to the bike path. It was part of the Davenport Trails system as well as Duck Creek Park and Bettendorf Trail.
 |
| Kelli sent me a route that brought me right to her back gate! |
I messaged her to tell her I was there. She said to go on in and say hi to Duke. She told me where everything was. Now I’m just waiting for her to get home.
 |
| Duke the beagle of awesomness! |
 |
| He’s such a sweet dog! |
Kelli also has two birds, a Conure and a Quaker. I’m in bird heaven! Kelli is getting dinner. I’ll try to get a photo before I leave tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment