| I actually did walk my bike! |
| The often photographed washout |
| The lovely bypass trail |
| One of the bigger trestles |
| Another one |
| I-90 way down there |
I finally got to Alice Creek. Turns out it was 10 miles from the start, not 6. I’m so glad I didn’t go there last night!
I was really starting to slow down. I was stopping for a butt break every mile. It was so much slower on a loaded bike! I always used to say that I didn’t really notice the climbing, until we would be coming back down. Oh, I noticed the climbing today!!!
After what seemed like an eternity, the tunnel finally came in to view. There were quite a few people there. I sat with a young couple who were riding to Walla Walla and had a snack.
After taking a photo of Wanda (her first time through the tunnel), I turned on my headlight, and headed in.
I saw the young couple again at the restroom in Hyak. They were going all the way to Ellensburg today. From Hyak to Lake Easton was 18 miles further. I got back on the trail. Even though I was now going a few miles and hour faster, I was still stopping a lot. I did let some air out of my tires, and I think that helped.
A bit after the lake, the trail surface became heavy gravel. It looks like they had recently regraveled it. It was not fun.
| This isn’t even the worst! |
| The gravel was really thick in this tunnel! |
I saw a guy pull over to a picnic table a ways later. Needing a butt break myself, I stopped to remark about how horrible the gravel was. His name was Tom, and we sat and talked for about an hour! It was great! Little did he know, he saved my day. I really needed the break, and it was wonderful talking with him. We both agreed we could have talked all day. Another bikepacker rolled up. I asked where he was going. Turns out, he was at the start yesterday, but I never talked to him. His name is Dan, and he did it two years ago too. He’s hoteling this time, and not exactly following the route, but perhaps I’ll see him again.
I felt much better after the break with Tom. Now I just had about 8 miles to go. The thick gravel persisted for another mile or so, then it was back to normal, and I could pick up the speed.
| Yakima River |
| Funky bridge over an arm of Lake Easton |
| One final tunnel for today. |
I exited the trail at Easton. I could have taken a trail into the park directly, but I wanted to get a bit of resupply in Easton. There was a small grocery, and I got some snack stuff. Across the street was a burger food truck. The woman in the store said it was good. By now, I was starving. I went there next.
The state park wasn’t too far. There was one of two H/B sites available. I’ve actually stayed on this site before. Best part was the hot shower!!! Now I can just relax. Don’t need to cook dinner as I’m still full from the burger (maybe a snack later).
Even though I was tired today, I know it will get better. I’ve done 100 miles in two days. That’s more than I usually do.
No comments:
Post a Comment