Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Going Home

Christian and I were up at 5:30 this morning. I put the last pannier into the Chinese Shopping Bag, and we were out the door before 6:30. At the airport, I was sad to say goodbye to Christian, as I don't know when I'll see him next. Of course, we'll keep in touch, but it's not quite the same.

I had no problems checking my bag and Betsy. I was perilously close to the weight limit with the combined weight being 45kg (limit being 46). It's a good thing I sent the first bunch of souvenirs home! This time I didn't have to weigh my carry-on. 

Passport control was not open yet. I had to wait about 30 minutes. After going through it, and going to Gate C4, Security was not open. It's interesting at Frankfurt Airport. There is individual Security for each Gate. My flight was at 10:15. At Baggage Drop, I was told the plane would begin boarding at 9:00. Well, Security didn't even open until almost 9:00! I was not the only American curious about this. A long line began to form before Security opened. I just sat until they opened, then stepped into the line from where I was. 

After Security, I handed my Boarding Pass to an airline employee (who tore off the half). Then went to the waiting area. So, when it came time to finally board the plane, I just showed my stub and walked on the plane. We took off about 20 minutes late.

It was strange to look at the map on the screen in front of my seat and see my route! I think it's going to take some time to process the idea that I rode 3786 miles through 10 countries (counting Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, and England as separate countries) in 79 days!

I noticed yesterday, as I was packing Betsy, I can see the blue of the Kevlar on the rear tire. Still, I did not get a single flat! Schwalbe Tires are awesome!

It's difficult to sit for such a long time on a plane after spending day after day riding and being outside all day and night. At least I have an aisle seat and can get up now and then.

Later...I'm home! Dillon and Connor came to the airport to pick up Betsy and I. Souvenirs have been distributed, a shower taken, first batch of laundry done, and now...bed.

No comments: