Sunday, June 17, 2018

June 17: Checking One More Bird Off My List

Today was going to be relatively long, depending on the wind, so I wanted to get an early start. I was cozy in my sleeping bag, thinking/half dreaming about what time I should get up. I decided 5:45 should get me going early, but not in the dark. I half woke up and checked my clock. It was exactly 5:45. I was actually hoping it would be earlier as I was still a little sleepy. Ah well...I strapped on the headlamp, and started my morning routine. A short while after getting out of my tent, there was light showing on the horizon.

Good morning Bunbury!

Once everything was packed up, I wheeled over to the camp kitchen to cook my breakfast. Everything finished, and I was on the road by 7:20. The wind was already showing it was going to be a factor in today’s ride. What was worse, for awhile, was the sun coming up directly in my eyes! The Da Brim would have helped, but it was stowed due to the wind. Fortunately, I was on a bike path for the worst of it.

I followed the Old Coast Road out of Bunbury. It was pretty quiet. Just before it rejoined Hwy 1 (the Forrest Hwy), I saw 4 big birds fly over my head squawking away. They were Black Cockatoos! Even better, they were Red-tailed Black Cockatoos! I had all but given up on seeing them, but there they were. Here’s a couple of photos. Unfortunately, you can’t see that their tails are red.



There’s actually two in this photo (the second one is on the left edge).

I was so happy to have seen the red-tails! It really made my day!

When the Old Coast Rd rejoined Hwy 1, it was much busier. At first it was weird because there would be a whole bunch of vehicles, then nothing. I figured out why when two huge (and I mean HUGE) oversized trucks went by with some big pieces of equipment. They took up the whole road (2 lanes). There was a long line of traffic behind them. I think they would go for awhile, then somehow pull over to let the cars through. After they passed me, the traffic was more regular.

I was able to get back on the Old Coast Rd near Clifton Lake. I only mention the lake because there is a caravan park that I had planned to stay at before I was trying to get all the way to Mandurah (again taking advantage of the sun). When I got to where the caravan park was, I saw the “B” word (you know...Bakery). I stopped in for a much needed break. 

Soon, the Old Coast Rd became busier the closer I got to Mandurah. I cycled through a couple of suburbs. There was a Path next to the road, but I didn’t get on it for awhile. Then, when I did, I had to get off to go over a bridge (the path did not go over the bridge). I stayed on the road for another few kilometers, then decided to try the path again. This time I stayed on it the rest of the way into Mandurah. 

One of the suburbs

Because I was on a path, I couldn’t see the road signs very well. Or, at least, I never saw a sign for the Visitor Info Center. I came into the CBD. Still I saw to Info Center sign. Finally, I asked a guy. He told me where it was (just a bit further). I stopped in to inquire about where I would sleep tonight. There seemed to be no caravan parks close, and besides, its suppose to be stormy tonight. There are also no hostels/backpackers in Mandurah. The lady at the Info Center was very nice (they usually are). She phoned a place called Mandurah Ocean Marina Chalets. They had a vacancy for $117. I went there and booked in. It’s really unbelievable how great this place is for the price (I paid more at the Best Western)! She gave me a two bedroom chalet (for the price of a one bedroom). I could totally live here! It has a full kitchen, furniture, TV...really, it’s like an apartment! There’s room for Tilmann (although, currently, he’s out on the porch). Here’s some photos.

It’s bigger than a tiny house!

Nice, right?

And there’s another bedroom!

Anyway, it’s my last night before getting to Cathie’s. What a treat!

Here’s a couple more shots of Mandurah.

Coming over one of the bridges into the CBD

Where I’m staying is to the right somewhere.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you made it today, only one more day you are a very inspiring lady, so glad our paths crossed. Best of luck tomorrow. Then enjoy the sights of Perth. Love Wendy, and Sonny-Jim xx