When I got up this morning, the fog was as thick as pea soup! Admittedly, it wasn’t cold at 71 degrees. I got on the road at about 7:15.
| These photos don’t really show how incredibly foggy it was. I kept having to wipe my glasses. |
I just rode 275 to Scribner (about 12 miles). Funny thing, I wasn’t running the route because I wasn’t on it until Scribner, I saw the sign for the high school. I decided to fire up the route. Wouldn’t you know, that was my turn! Lucky!
I hit the first section of gravel. It wasn’t too bad, still moments of sandyness, but I could usually find a good line. Lo and behold, my Garmin said there was a climb! It’s been 280 miles since my Garmin initiated the climb pro! This was the last climb of 10 climbs for this 498 mile section.
As I was leaving Hooper, I saw this bike path. I thought, why not?
| I just rode it one block. It was too soft. It looked like it went for awhile. |
I knew this route segment was coming to an end (not Segment 4, just the Garmin segment). Sure enough, it said end point in 7 miles. I found the next course for the remaining miles of Segment 4, and I was off again.
The gravel got better and better. This is what I thought the gravel farm roads would be like. In addition to good gravel, the climbs started coming fast. This section is only about 147 miles. There are 39 climbs that initiate the climb pro! Compare that to 10 climbs in the last 498 miles! Needless to say, it was very rolling terrain.
| Interesting fence art |
| Going up means views! |
| And the gravel rolls on! |
I was riding along when I heard a plane. It was a crop duster doing its crop dusting thing.
| It flew over numerous times |
I was reaching a point where the banana and coconut drink were long gone. RWGPS said there was the Dew Drop Inn in Kennard. I really hoped they were open because there wasn’t anything else there.
Oh, they were open alright! There were also about 50 motorcycles there too! There was a line out the door, but I was too hungry to pass it up. The line moved pretty quickly as it turns out most of the motorcyclists were there to get their poker card (it was a Poker Run). I went right up to the bar and ordered a Dr Pepper (ended up having 2), and the pulled pork sandwich special with potato salad. It was chaos in there, but the ladies serving at the bar were very efficient. I filled up my water bottle with ice water. I meant to take a photo, but forgot.
I thought I had about 19 miles to go. The climbs were continuing, and were getting a bit steeper. One weird section was through a neighborhood. I think it was in the Nickerson area (the next stop on the Poker Run). I didn’t go into the town proper, if there was such a thing.
I stopped to check the route, and see how many miles I had left. It was very hot and humid. I thought I would have about 65 miles today. Nope, it was going to be about 71. I decided to finish in Fort Calhoun, about 4 miles (and two climbs) away.
| The final downhill into Fort Calhoun |
I had googled camping in Fort Calhoun. I was headed to Riverbend Campground. First I made a resupply stop at the Shell station. I drank a chocolate milk AND a Fanta orange soda. The clerk was kind to make me a seat out of cases of water. Re-fluided, I headed to the park.
I got there, and there was a gate. Just then a vehicle came up and opened the gate. I followed it in. As I made my way, a guy in a golf cart stopped and said it was private property. Justin was the owner. I told him I had found it on Google as a campground. He said it’s not, it’s an RV park, and he is full.
He gave me the number of Jeannie, the woman who owns the park next door (same situation). I called and left a message. He called for me. She was at the beach (it’s on the Missouri River). She said to come on over. So I did. Jeannie met me in her golf cart, and had me follow her. She set me up in her camp trailer (with AC, shower, toilet, and everything)! She said I could just sleep in the trailer! Then she said they were having chicken and ribs for dinner. She brought me a plate!
| Yum! |
| My hero! |
| Home for the night |
| Wanda and the Missouri River |
So, you see? Once again, it has worked out! Jeannie is amazing! She doesn’t even live here! She lives in Omaha, but grew up on this property. After a flood destroyed her and her mom’s home, it was awhile before she could get the property up and running as a private RV park. People rent spaces for the season (March to November). They leave their RVs here. They may not live very far away, but Jeannie said it’s how they can have access to the river. I’m so thankful she was willing to let me stay!
Tomorrow, it’s on through Omaha!
No comments:
Post a Comment