Sunday, July 26, 2026

7/26-Bike Paths, Oh, and Iowa!

I had a wonderful night last night in the comfy camp trailer. Jeannie came as I was packing up. I wanted to get an early start because I knew I had quite a few miles, and it was going to be hot again. Plus, it was going to be a lot of bike paths. Sometimes bike paths are slower going. I left Jeannie’s at 6:20, probably my earliest start. It was still 79 degrees!

I was 1.7 miles from the route. Today was entirely paved (even though it didn’t look like that on the RWGPS route). In just a few miles I was on the Omaha River Trail. 
Omaha River Trail

Good morning shadow!

There were two climbs in pretty short succession. But then, after the second one, my Garmin said the next climb was in 45 miles! Woo Hoo! 

Sometimes it was next to the road

Sometimes it was through the trees

Then there were views of the Missouri

I kept making my way toward Omaha. I saw a few road cyclists (getting their workouts in before too much heat) on the trail. Two guys passed me. Later, I caught up to them as the one guy was messing with his brake. They asked where I was going. 
Aaron and Drew 

I passed them again later when Drew was still trying to fix his brake. I didn’t see them again because I pulled off to go to a Casey’s. My goal today was to keep pouring fluids into my body! As it was, I was sweating it out as fast as it was going in! It was like riding in a sauna! Still, I felt okay. 

I came to this sign. 
It was right out of the airport


Omaha skyline

Then, it was a little weird because there was this sign not long after. 
Is it though? I thought I had to cross the river.

Oh well, better than not getting a sign at all! State number 7! I did come to the pedestrian bridge that would take me across the Missouri, and truly in to Iowa. 
Cool bridge!

Bridge info

On the bridge

The Missouri

I continued on various bike paths, making my way around toward Council Bluffs. At one point, I was riding through a park where they were playing soccer. In my attempt to keep hydrated, I stopped at a restroom at the park. Twice as I was rolling toward the restrooms, an errant soccer ball came rolling toward Wanda. She did a pretty good job “kicking” the ball off her front wheel! 

I continued stopping wherever there was a convenience store. It was so cold inside that it felt even more like a sauna when I came out. But, I was full of fluid, so that’s all that mattered. 

Even as I left Council Bluffs, the bike paths continued. I think there was even a new one along Railroad Hwy. the Garmin said I should be on the road, but there was this bike path.

When I got to Weston, I finally had to get on the road. Sadly, there was no shoulder, but the traffic was pretty good. 

The next refluid opportunity was Neola. The Blue Cow Market fulfilled the need. Plus, a banana and an oatmeal cream pie. I talked to a local guy named Dan. He showed me a photo of another cyclist who had stayed at the church there. It was Paul! Everywhere I go, someone mentions Paul! It’s pretty funny. 

I had made pretty good time getting to Neola. But then…the climbs started. The Iowa hills were a rollin’!


Mindon wasn’t too far after Neola, but I stopped anyway and got some water to replace my hot water. Tracy, the owner, offered me a chair. I took advantage of the coolness of the store. Then, it was time for the final 10ish or so miles. It was a never ending rollercoaster. As you can see in the photo above, the road surface was crap. It was really terrible.

Finally, I could see a town in the distance. I thought it had to be Avoca, my destination! Yay, it was! I decided it was too hot to camp. I found a motel called Capri Motel. $75. Bonus, it’s right next to a Casey’s! 

I did 69.7 miles today (50 before noon!). I was soaking wet!
It’s what happens when you ride in a sauna!


No comments: