Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Turtle Was Fast...

But, the rabbits were faster!

Of course, I didn't know that I (the turtle) was fast until I got home. I can't really look at my computer in the dark (actually, I can, if I am not wearing my heavy lobster gloves).

We rode South tonight. It was cold, but not as cold as it has been. We didn't hit fog until almost Rainier. Yes, Rainier. Vaughn wanted to go the extra couple of miles.

I kept up until we came out to Rainier Rd. at 67th. I seem to frequently get dropped on this section. It is slightly downhill, so you'd think I could keep up. The rabbits got progressively farther in front of me. I just kept going as fast as I could, working on driving the pedals forward. At the Waldrick crossing, a couple of the guys had circled back to allow me to catch up. I stayed with them until almost to the trail junction. Then, the rabbits must have hit their turbo-boost because, once again, they were gone.

I continued on toward Rainier, knowing I would not make it before they would be coming back. As they came back the other way, I turned around. A couple of the guys hung back taking care of necessary business. Jean, Ron, and I just soft pedaled until they caught up. I didn't think they could go any faster (What am I saying!? Of course they could go faster!), I hung in with them...for awhile. Vaughn pulled me along a couple of times. After the gravel section, they again hit the turbo-boost and I was pounding the pedals alone. This does not bother me. I know I am doing the best I can. They also have to do the best they can. I don't care that it is dark, and I'm not afraid to be out there alone.

Back at the roundabout at Rainier and 67th, the rabbits had circled back. From there I stayed with them back to the bridge where I peeled off for home. When I got home and checked my average speed, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was 17.1 mph! That is my fastest average for a night ride. I didn't keep up, but I was faster than I have ever been on a night ride!

No comments: