Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 37--Chapter 3 Goes Out With a Stink

There's a song on my playlist called, "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road". I'll get to that...

I left the lap of luxury (aka Carla's) at about 8:30. I worked my way back to the Centennial Trail.
How nice to build a little tunnel under the railroad trestle!

I let Google do my route finding, and today was good. No dead ends. I even got to go on two additional trails besides the Centennial Trail. One that I've seen before, but never been on was called the Children in f the Sun Trail.
It's a trail amidst all these highway overpasses. 

The other was a short trail that was called something like FSRV Trail. I have no idea what the letters stood for.

Eventually, I knew where I was. I just had to go on Hwy 395 for about a mile or so before turning off to go the final couple of miles to Annette's. I arrived just before noon.
Last bit of gravel to finish Chapter 3.

I took a shower and did all my laundry. Later in the evening, we were coming back from Costco when we saw a skunk walking up the hillside as we were coming up the driveway. They've been having problems with skunks. We continued up to the house and got everything unloaded. Then, as we were sitting in the house (with the windows open), Annette asks if I smell skunk. Why yes, yes I did! Annette got the dog in the house (Pearl smelled faintly of skunk, but had clearly NOT been sprayed), and we closed the windows. Fortunately, in the room I'm sleeping in there was no skunk smell. We think it maybe just walked by the house where the windows were open. 

Of course, the lyrics to the Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road song came to mind. So, here they are...it's by Jimmy C. Newman

Crossing the highway late last night
You shoulda looked left and you shoulda looked right
You didn't see the station wagon car
Skunk got squished and there you are

Chorus:
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinkin' to high heaven

Take a whiff on me that ain't no rose
Roll up your windows and hold your nose
You don't have look and you don't have to see
You can feel it in your olfactories 

Chorus

Well you got your dead cat and you got your dead dog
On a moonlight night you got your dead toad frog
You got your dead rabbit and your dead raccoon
The blood and the guts are going to make you swoon

Chorus

Whew! It's enough to make you sick!

Total miles today: 28
Average speed: 9.23


No comments: