Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Spectacular Day for a Bike Ride!

Or...What is that color in the sky?

Finally! Blue sky for a whole day! It's been awhile since the raingear has been stowed away for a whole day with no threat of pulling it out. After the no good, horrible storm night, the sun is a welcome sight!

I didn't get the earliest start this morning, but I enjoyed the extra sleep. I saw Bronwen and Jeffrey in the kitchen again this morning. They gave me their left over yogurt. They were just going to toss it and asked if I would like it. You bet I would!

I also met a family I had seen last night but hadn't talked to. They have two cute little boys--Felix, almost 3 and Edward, 4. They are from the UK. They were in a campervan and also headed to Nelson today (where I am currently, sitting in a Starbucks).

Today's ride did a couple of good climbs. The first was up to Rai Saddle. It wasn't too bad since it was still a little chilly (even with the sun). The downhill was long and great. The second climb was up Mt. Duppa. It was a little longer, but not too bad. The downhill from this climb was great with winding turns all the way down. I love it when I can keep up with the cars!

At the bottom was a tiny town called Hira. I was looking for a place to pull off for some lunch. Didn't find it in Hira, but just a ways down the road I saw a suitable place. I pulled off and a woman came up in her car and asked if I was okay. I told her I was just going to eat some lunch. She said if I went around to the back, there were tables on a patio and a toilet as well. Perfect!!! I had some fruit bread with peanutbutter and nutella and an apple. Then I was back on the road coming around the Tasman Bay to Nelson. I picked up a great little bike path that brought me into the City Center. I stopped at the iSite and picked up a map, then came here to Starbucks.

Due to not making it to Nelson yesterday, I think I'm going to skip Motueka and head toward Murchison. Tonight I will stay in the Richmond Top 10 Holiday Park. Tomorrow I think I will go toward Murchison via St. Arnaud. That is he route that Bronwen said is less hilly than going over the mountains.

Here are some photos from today's beautiful day.

No comments: