Friday, June 10, 2016

Chapter 5 of the Tilmann Saga--The Boy Comes Home!

So, in the last chapter, Tilmann was all painted and ready to be assembled. Derik, owner of Joy Ride Bicycles in Lacey, sent me a few pics as he was coming together.
Lots of progress!
I zoomed in and out multiple times looking at the drivetrain.

Then, the day came when Tilmann was finished!!! Again, Derik sent photos.
Ta da!
Butt shot--oooo, nice tail light!
Notice that headlight (and tail light on the back)? They are powered by a Son 28 generator hub. The light also has a USB port for charging! The headlight even has high beam and low beam settings, in addition to a capacitor so the light stays on when I'm stopped.
Rohloff, TRP Spyke disc brakes, belt drive, Tubus racks, Pletscher kickstand, Tilmann has it all! His cloud pattern even shows a tropical storm brewing (on the back of the seat tube just behind the bottle cage bosses)!

I returned from Eugene last night. I hopped the bus this morning with my helmet and a pannier, and arrived just after the shop opened. As I was approaching the door, I could see him sitting inside. 
Hellooooooo Tilmann!!!

While Derik was occupied, I picked out a couple of bottle cages. Per Will's advice, I went with the stainless as they looked the best. I also picked up a mirror (the same as I have on Mama Cass, and really, the only one that will work with the Trekker bar). I had hemmed and hawed about getting a computer. I have my Garmin, and also have the ability to charge it, but I still felt I wanted a basic computer. If, for nothing else, the fact that it has an odometer. I didn't get the most basic of computers because that model Sigma didn't have the auto start/stop feature, but it was just the next one up. Will set it up for me, which I thought was quite nice!
Cockpit with the computer.

Derik and I came to an agreement about the labor cost that was more than fair to me (since I had no concept of what he should charge me, I told him to just tell me what he wanted). He spent hours upon hours ordering all the parts, and putting Tilmann together. He considered it a pet project, and had fun building him (well, except for when he sliced open his hand, and had to go to the ER for stitches--OUCH!). 

We went over how to get the wheels off should I have a flat, and for when I have to pack him up to fly. I'm going to make myself a cheat sheet, because there a a lot of things to remember. It was a bit of a learning experience for him too as he had taken the rear wheel off many times, but never with the fenders on. That added another step. 

As we were finishing up, it started to rain. We moved inside just before it poured rain. By the time I was ready to ride him home, it was still raining a little. So, my first ride (of more than just riding around the parking lot) was in the rain. I was planning to take the long way home on the trail, but I opted to go the sly-dog route (which is shorter, but still not the shortest). I was also carrying all the extra bits and spares (tire, tubes, handlebar grip, and belt). Derik didn't think I'd be able to fit it all into the pannier I brought, but I did...sort of.
This is how I rode home.

Now, I have about 3 days to practice packing him into the case, and then putting him back together. My plan tomorrow is to take him apart, and pack him, then unpack him, put him back together, go for a short ride, then repeat. I'll repeat until I feel like I've got it down. Derik said I could call him if I had problems, and he'd come help. How many bike shop owners would do that? Perhaps I will document the packing and do a post (after I'm successful, of course).

No comments: