Monday, August 24, 2026

8/24-Two Wheels is Back!

After I uploaded yesterday’s post, not one, but two guys joined me at Cumberland Valley campsite! First was Dylan, a 16 year old riding his bike on the C&O to start with, but then ending up who knows where. And it wasn’t his first time traveling a long distance by bike. Then there was Andre. He was following the GAWR (except went up through Columbus), having started in Chicago. He’s from Switzerland. He was going to make it to DC today (95 miles).
it was really fun having them at the campsite last night. Dylan even gave me and Andre a paw paw to try. It was very sweet and delicious!

Because I had company, I stayed up later, which was great because I really didn’t need to get an early start. Wouldn’t you know it, though, it rained at about 5:00am. It didn’t last too long, and wasn’t too heavy (at least my tent was dry on the inside). Consequently, I didn’t get up until 7:20. 

The guys packed up, and headed out. I finished packing up and hit the trail at about 9:45. Since I didn’t have a long day again today, that was perfect. 
Not long into the ride, I came to this “Falling Water” spot. It tells of flooding on the Potomac preventing General Robert E Lee from retreating from Gettysburg back to West Virginia. See? Flooding even caused problems during the Civil War!!!

I came to a section of the C&O where there was no canal. The boats used the river. This was one of my favorite parts of the C&O so far. 

The tow path went along the rock walls right next to the river. The river was like glass. There were periodic sections of concrete path. I saw a sign that said the path had been wiped out by a flood, and they rebuilt it with concrete. 



This was near the concrete part. 

I’d been on the lookout for paw paw fruit as I hadn’t gotten a photo last night. Finally, I spotted some on the ground.

You eat the mushy yellow stuff. There are big black seeds. Obviously, you don’t eat those.

Continuing along, I came to what I think was Dam #4.
I walked down a path to get this photo.

Dylan had told me and Andre about a cave. 
I didn’t go in it, but I was tempted.

I haven’t seen much wildlife on the C&O, but I did see this deer. She had a fawn too, but it ran the other way. 
Oh hello deer!

Since I didn’t have any towns today (well, I could have gone off the canal to Sharpsburg or Shepherdstown, but it just looked like a lot of climbing), I stopped at one of the campsites and made myself a tortilla with peanut butter and Nutella. I honestly don’t remember when I got those tortillas and the pb and Nutella! It’s been at least a few states ago! A guy walked by and asked where I had come from. We talked for a moment, then he went a bit further before turning around and heading back. He said he had just finished chemo, and was getting back in shape. I later caught up to him on the trail. We chatted some more. His name was Jim (yet another guy with a 3-letter name). I rolled slow for awhile beside him. It was a nice way to pass some time.

Usually, I would be down below on the gravel. Somehow, I ended up on top.

Potomac changing a bit.

I had decided to go to a closer campsite than I planned to kind of even out today and tomorrow’s miles. Today was supposed to be 47, but tomorrow was only going to be 30. I thought I’d go to Huckleberry Hill campsite, but that was only 32 miles when I came to it. On the route there was an actual campground in Brunswick. I didn’t really want to pay for camping when there were so many free sites, but Brunswick was a better distance, AND they had showers! 

Before Brunswick, however, I came to just across the river from Harper’s Ferry! Unfortunately, just as when I hiked there on the AT, the pedestrian bridge over to Harper’s Ferry was closed. They are replacing the staircase up to the bridge.

Now I was back on the AT! Did I ever think I would be back here? No way! This time, instead of hiking “Two Wheels” (my trail name on the AT), I was biking “Two Wheels”. I’ve always said it was my preferred mode of transportation!
There a the white blaze on the tree


This was where the AT left the C&O.
I was much happier to be continuing on the C&O!

It was just a few more miles to Brunswick. I went up into the town to get something to eat. I went to the Potomac grill and had a pulled pork sandwich.
Brunswick, MD

After finishing, I made my way to Brunswick Family Campground. It is $22, the tent sites leave something to be desired, it’s right next to the trains, but they have showers, so that makes it all worth it!
The ground is pretty wet in most places

Tomorrow should now be about 37 miles, which isn’t much better than 30, but the best I could do. 

T-minus 2 days and about 54 miles!

No comments: