Thursday, August 6, 2026

8/6-More Sly Dogging on The I&M and…Bethany!!!

It was about a 2 mile ride back to the I&M Canal from the worst ever Super 8 this morning. 
Back to the canal

I had quite a few miles still to do on the I&M, from mile post 58 to 35. 
A lock house

The lock

An aqueduct

Trail between the canal and the river

In Channahon, I came upon a high school cross country team having practice (school hasn’t started yet).
I talked to the coach for awhile until the practice was winding down. 

The section to Channahon proper was a little muddy in spots, but all rideable. Igor off the canal in Channahon to go to a Casey’s for a snack and some calcium. There weren’t as many towns on the canal today, so I took advantage. Besides, the breakfast at the Super 8 was terrible (only waffles, and not even butter).

I saw several herons again, and also started seeing egrets. 


I came to the last mile post, then this sign. 

Last bit on the I&M

Okay then

I was off at Rockdale onto streets. I had the final climb (number 7) working my way to Joliet. It’s not the final climb of this segment, but of the RWGPS part on my computer. 

I was to cross into Joliet over the river. Unfortunately, the road was closed that I needed to take. I let Garmin reroute me, and it did a good job. 
On the bridge


Into Joliet

It’s on Route 66

Now I had to work my way to the Old Plank Trail. There was another closed road, but I just rode the sidewalk. 


Really great trail!

I texted Bethany when I got to Old Plank. Now I had about 13 more miles to go to Frankfort…and Bethany!!! I made one more stop for a snack at a Fitness Course. 
There I met a grandpa and his three grandkids. Bailey who was 8, had some great questions about what I was doing (asking how much everything weighed). Liam, 5 years, was interested in what was in all the bags. Little Declan was 2, and busy running around, keeping grandpa on his toes. 

I texted Bethany again when I had just a bit over two miles to go. She said she was at the square!
Over this bridge

Almost there (Bethany took this photo)

As I rolled up to the Square in Frankfort, I could see her! 
Woo Hoo! I made it! It’s been since Idaho Panhandle Ramble since I’ve seen Bethany. The best thing is that she is moving back to Washington!!! 

We loaded Wanda onto the bike rack, and came to the hotel. The room wasn’t ready, so we went to lunch. When we got back, and checked in, Bethany still had some work to do. I did my laundry. In the process, I met Robert, a guitar tech for the Barenaked Ladies/Train tour that is performing tomorrow just down the road. We had a good chat. 

Now Bethany and I are going to meet her son and granddaughter for dinner. I’ll post more photos from that tomorrow.

No comments: