Friday, August 31, 2012

A Celebration of Goodbye

Today I accomplished one of the main reasons for this tour. I rode to the top of Mt. Constitution and set free the small amount of my Mother's ashes that I have been carrying with me for the last 17 days.

The ride to the top was not too bad. I knew the road was steep and I wasn't carrying anything except my handlebar bag. I listened to music on the way up to help with the rhythm of riding.

At the top, I went around to the outside of the wall and sat down out on the edge. I was then able to set my mother free without her just landing on the rocks. I have to say, she floated away in the air as if she knew she was free to go.

Not to get too...weird, but it has been kind of cool having my mom with me on this tour. On occasion I would think maybe she was enjoying the ride! It's certainly not something she would have ever done when she was alive (well, maybe she would have if all she had to do was ride on the back of my bike like she did for this tour!).

When I got back to my campsite in Moran State Park, I fixed myself one of the better dinners I have made on this trip. For a "starter", I had some panatini toast with avocado and tomato. I cooked up some pasta, then sautéed some zucchini and carrots with garlic and Italian seasoning. While the vegetables were cooking, I sliced up the remainder of a Demi-baguette, buttered it, sprinkled it with some Parmesan, and toasted it in the frying pan with the vegetables. When the veggies were done, I dumped them over the pasta and added some cut up Provolone cheese. It was delicious! For dessert I had a little chocolate custard pie I bought in Eastsound today. Geez, I don't cook this good when I'm at home with a full compliment kitchen! Anyway, it was a great meal to cap off a Goodbye Celebration day.

Here is one photo of me at the top of Mt. Constitution.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations. What a wonderful experience. The view is pretty nice too!

Tiffany Wallace said...

OK first let me wipe my eyes. I have a very big lump in my throat as well. That was absolutely beautiful, Colleent... I agree though, I'm sure your mom was definitely with you on your journey, and how wonderful of you to realize that!! They are with us and it is good to acknowledge them - we know when they are there. Sending you a very big hug. Gah, more tears!

Marsha said...

A touching post, Colleen.

Tim Lishan said...

You know me sitting here with a wet face. It's exactly what she wanted and I'm sure she was with you as she will be on all of your rides, keeping you safe as she did when we were little.
Jeez just when I think I don't need to cry anymore you go and pull something like this....LOL.
I love you,
Bro Tim