Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Flexibility is Key

Awhile back, I spoke at a clinic for bikepacking. There were several of us who presented. We talked about a variety of ways to make bike tours successful. During this clinic and at other times where I have presented on bike touring, there has been one overriding concept that seems to be the most important key to a successful bike tour. That is...flexibility. That concept has never been more important than in the tour I am about to embark on. The plan for this tour has changed so many times, that without the ability to be flexible, my head would have spun off into space!

The first iteration of this upcoming tour was for my friend and I to leave mid June and ride the Kettle Valley Rail Trail. As this was only going to be my friend’s second tour, I was a bit concerned about the logistics. I was not able to find enough info to feel comfortable doing Kettle Valley with someone who didn’t have much experience. 

I proposed an alternative that would take us from my home out to the Coast, and down to the Oregon/California border. I’ve done the Coast route a few times, and felt comfortable with this idea. My friend thought it was okay, but was concerned she was not in good enough shape. I made an itinerary that seemed doable, two full weeks to go from my house to the border (the last time I did it, it took me 9 days). Then there was a fishing trip that necessitated us finishing by June 27th. There were also still some concerns that the daily mileage might be too much. We moved the start date back to allow 18 days, and finishing on the 26th, and being home on the 27th. 

All was set until my friend’s husband had to have emergency surgery. So, I proposed we postpone an extra two weeks to give a full month’s recovery time. Although things are progressing well, it has been decided that it’s just not possible for my friend to do the tour after all. 

Now, because flexibility is key, I have a new plan. 

I’ll be taking off this coming Saturday, heading out to the Coast. I’ll work my way south to the Oregon/California border. Just south of the border, I’ll head inland to start riding toward Bend. My goal is to be in Bend by June 28th. My son has a few days off then, and my other son and husband will be driving to Bend (handy, because they can bring my day pack, so I can do some hiking while in Bend).

From Bend, I’ll go over Old Mackenzie Pass and down into Eugene. I’ll probably pick up the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway and ride it north. I’m looking forward to tailwinds. Last time I rode it south, and had headwinds the entire time. Once I get to Portland, it’s possible I will just keep riding home. If time is short, I can always take the train. 

Since I’m leaving Saturday, and I wasn’t planning to leave for another couple of weeks, I’ve been pulling out my gear. At least Tilmann is ready. As for blogging, I may not blog every day. Since this is my fourth trip down the Coast, I don’t think I need to go over that which I have gone over before. But, you never know. It’s been a few years. Maybe some things are different...




Now to put it all together...


No comments: