Wednesday, June 19, 2019

OSBT Day 12-First Part of Wild River Coast Scenic Bikeway, and Goodbye to Carmen

Today was not much for photos. I didn’t feel like going to the Estuary, even though the day was sunny. Seven Devils Road was not too bad, but I did make a discovery. The two Aussies that we’re going north had both talked about the gravel part of Seven Devils. I couldn’t figure out how they ended up on gravel. Now I know. Once again, the Oregon Coast Bike Route has changed since I last did this part 10 years ago. Now, instead of coming directly out to 101 after Seven Devils and Beaver Hill Rds, there is an additional (and shorter) turn onto Whiskey Run Rd (which is an awesome downhill) which then comes back to Seven Devils Rd., then out to 101. What I discovered is that the route is not signed for people riding north. So, the northbound riders don’t know to make the turn onto Whiskey Run from Seven Devils. Instead, they stay on Seven Devils which eventually turns to gravel which includes a nasty walk-your-bike climb. They never do Whiskey Run and Beaver Hill Rds. Not signing the route north is a chink in the otherwise awesome bike infrastructure of Oregon. I know it is strongly encouraged to ride north to south, but it would be nice to at least sign the route going the other direction. 

Anyway, I made it into Bandon and found (okay, rode right by it) the Face Rock Creamery. I stopped and had a sandwich made with Face Rock cheese, and some ice cream (which is just Umpqua). I saw Carmen and told her where Face Rock Creamery was. Then I continued on, doing the scenic beach loop. I made a semi wrong turn onto Jetty Rd, but took this photo of the lighthouse. 

It was quite windy. 
When I got to the end of the road, I saw a tsunami evacuation route (looked like a bike path). Since I didn’t want to go back, then go up another hill, I just decided to go up the evacuation route. I’ll tell ya, that was a steep sucker! I was in my easiest gear, out of the saddle, pumping as hard as I could. And then...AND THEN...a snake goes slithering across the path!!! As if I wasn’t already about to bust a lung! Sheesh! Well, I survived...

I got back onto the scenic beach loop and stopped at Face Rock. 

Yep, looks the same as last time. 

I stopped at Devil’s Kitchen, but wasn’t impressed. I didn’t even bother to stop at China Creek. So, except for the fact that there was virtually no traffic, the scenic beach loop was a bit of a bust. 

I remembered there was the place where there were supposed to be world famous hotdogs. Except, I didn’t remember what the name was. I saw the sign for Langlois Market, then remembered that was the place (of course, it helped that the sign included a big hotdog). As I pulled up to the market, Serena (who I last saw with Kendra in Newport) came around the corner calling my name. I got a hotdog, and joined them. I also met a German guy going north (from Argentina). I told him about the turn to avoid gravel on Seven Devils. I was happy to share my discovery. 

Serena, Kendra, and their friend, Jackie, we’re going on to Humbug Mtn. Sadly, I won’t see them again. 

After eating, I was ready to go and I saw Carmen ride by. I chased after her and caught up. She is faster than I am, so I didn’t ride with her for long. However, as I came up to the turn to go to Cape Blanco, she was waiting for me. She was also heading to Humbug. I won’t see her again either...very sad, but I would have only had 2 more says with her if I had been going to Humbug. 

I was not going to Humbug because I was starting the first of my Oregon Scenic Bikeways, Wild River Coast. It goes out to Cape Blanco. I think I would have gone to Cape Blanco anyway because I have never been there. 

Goodbye Carmen!


The road out to Cape Blanco was okay, but the wind was brutal. Sometimes a headwind, often times a crosswind. Also, there was a huge downhill, followed by a bigger uphill (I knew this beforehand). 
I rode to the end of the road to get a photo of the lighthouse. 

The wind was so strong, my helmet with the Sa Brim was choking me! I rode back to the campground pronto!

Clement and Matthew are here too, so I still have some friends for one more night!




No comments: