Sunday, June 23, 2019

OSBT Day 15-Out of Oregon, into California and the Redwoods

Today I said goodbye to the Coast, and goodbye to Oregon (but only for a couple of days). Just as I pulled up to the border, a couple pulled up in a car and asked if I’d like them to take my picture, then I could take one of them. Convenient!


I continued south to Smith River. A few miles past the town, I came to the turn onto 197. I said a hearty farewell to the Coast. 

Goodbye Pacific!

On 197, I was almost immediately in the redwoods. I stopped at a day use area of Jedediah State Park, and had some lunch among the trees. 






I was following the Smith River for the second half of the day (on 199 now). It was hard not to stop at every opportunity to take photos. 






I was steadily climbing, but it was never too bad. The temperature was also climbing the further inland I rode. But, I gotta say, the heat felt good! Even though I’ve had sunny days every day, it hasn’t been that warm. This is the first night I don’t have my hoody on. 

I arrived at Grassy Flat campground and got a tent site. Shortly, I realized there is no water here. That’s okay because I have my filter. There’s, of course, also no showers, so I went for a dip in the river when I went to get water. 

That oughta do me. 

Steve, the guy I’ve camped with off and on since Bruceport in Washington, is coming this way too, so we’re camped at Grassy Flat, sharing a site. He’s never done a route where he didn’t know exactly where he was going, so he’s tagging along with me. Although, he starts way later in the morning than I do, so he wants to know EXACTLY where I’m going. I think we’ll only hang together for a couple of days because he’s going to Klamath, and I’m not. 

Tomorrow there will be climbing, and I’m guessing it’ll be pretty warm. I’m going to get an early start.

No comments: