Wednesday, June 26, 2019

(Temporary Backup) OSBT Day 18-A Long Day After an Interrupted Night

Something I ate last night did not agree with me (I’m hoping it wasn’t the summer sausage or the cheese, they were both new packages). Every three hours I was rudely awakened by a strong need to hoof it to the restroom. Fortunately, our campsite was not too far away. At 5:30, I just decided to get up and get going. I was on the road by 7:00.

I took the Greenway Trail to Gold Hill. There I stopped for some Imodium, a banana, and a Sprite. 



These turkeys were out and about early too. 

I saw another bike path (the Gold Hill Trail) that went to some falls on the Rogue River. The Falls weren’t that impressive, but it was nice to be off the highway. Without warning, the Trail came to an end, so I had to backtrack a bit to an access to the highway. 

The road was pretty winding for awhile with little to no shoulder, but there wasn’t too much traffic. Later on, things leveled out a bit and I got these nice views of Lower Table Mountain, and Mt. McLoughlin. 



Ol’ pointy top. 

Once I turned onto Hwy 62, I was back on the ACA Sierra Cascades Route I had done 8 years ago. I have vague memories of the climbing, but I do remember the Peyton Bridge. 

Going across

Looking back to the bridge. 

Steve and I had made a plan that we would go to Natural Bridge Campground, a 63 mile day, or if I decided I didn’t want to go that far, I would leave some kind of a signal at the turn to Mill Creek Campground. I was feeling remarkably good considering my night before, so I opted to continue. Toward the end, I was slightly regretting that decision, but I survived. 

Natural Bridge CG is another no piped water campground. But, the Rogue River is just a short path from my campsite, so I filtered water. 

I walked the path to the interpretive trail for the Natural Bridge. Here’s some photos. 







The water flows through lava tubes. The force of the river is pretty epic. 

Steve arrived, but preferred site 12 (I set up on 5). He’s going to take a day off here to rest, so this is my last night with him. I considered taking a day off too, as there are several hiking trails, but the mosquitoes are horrid here, and there are, of course no showers, and the river is bone chilling cold. No, I’ll move on tomorrow. 

I’m looking forward to a better night’s sleep tonight, with the sound of the River lulling me to sleep. 

Here’s a couple more photos from the day. 

See the goslings?

Sweet peas I think

Lost Creek Reservoir. 





No comments: