Monday, June 17, 2019

(Temporary Backup) Day 9-OSBT-You’ve heard of the Venus Flytrap...

But, have you heard of the Darlingtonia Californica, aka the Cobra Lily? Yes, there is another carnivorous plant besides the Venus Flytrap. 

Before I could see this carnivorous plant, I had to bike from Cape Perpetua to not too far out of Florence. Clemens told me I was having a lazy morning even though I still left by 9:00, but he was right. I had less than 30 miles to go today to get to Honeyman State Park, so I was in no great hurry. 

I stopped at the Spouting Horn, but it wasn’t really spouting. I stopped at the Strawberry Hill Wayside to see the sea lions, but there weren’t any. I decided not to go down to the Devil’s Elbow to go to the Heceta Lighthouse because I did that last time. I did stop just after the tunnel to look down to see the sea lions down below near the Sea Lion Caves. I saw three. 

Heceta Head

Sea Lions

Where I did want to stop today was at the Darlingtonia Botanical Gardens. I’ve never stopped there before. There was a short walkway to a marshy area where the strange plants grow. 



This is a no fly zone for insects if they don’t want to be eaten!



You can see why their other name is the Cobra Lily. 

I continued on into Florence with one thing on my mind...lunch at Mo’s. But first, I stopped at Fred Meyer to resupply. As I was getting ready to leave Fred Meyer, Clemens pulled up. He said he didn’t need anything, but he would have a look. He said he would see me at Mo’s. 

As I was heading to Mo’s, I thought to myself, why didn’t I wait for him and we could go together? So, at the turn to go down to Old Town, I waited for him. And I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Finally, I decided to just go on to the restaurant. Maybe he would show up, maybe he wouldn’t. 

As it is Father’s Day today, there were tons of people at Mo’s. The line was out the door. I thought that was fine because maybe Clemens would get there before I got a table. Nope. But, I told the hostess to be on the lookout for him, and to send him my way. He finally showed up, and even though I already had my yummy bowl of Slumgullion, we still ate together. I just ordered dessert while he finished his Slumgullion. 

After we were stuffed, we headed on to the campground. Carmen showed up too (we saw her as we were leaving Mo’s). Carmen and I went out to climb the dune. As Clemens said, “It vus fooking windy!”

Had to keep the hood of my hoody up so my hat wouldn’t get blown off. 

Back at the H/B site, Carmen told me about a delicious dessert to make. Coincidentally, I had all the ingredients! It was diced up apple with cinnamon sautéed in my frying pan in a little bit of coconut oil. Okay, it’s my new favorite thing! I’m sure I will make it many more times!

We ended the night with a game Carmen knew. She made a pile of pine needles and the object was to bend over and touch the pile with your nose. I couldn’t even get close! Carmen could do the first pile. 
Carmen’s got it!

Clemens, however, is very flexible, and was able to go almost all the way to the ground (you remove parts of the pile making it smaller and smaller). 

Such a talented Frenchman!

We thought the others we had camped with at Cape Lookout would be here tonight, but they didn’t show. At this point, unless I take a day off, I won’t see Matthew, Steve, Serena, and Kendra again. Too bad, they were fun. That’s the way it goes though...





No comments: