Friday, June 14, 2019

Day 7-OSBT-All About That Dune

I packed up and was on the road at 7:30. I had a big day (ended up being 61 miles), and I wanted to stop at Cape Kiwanda to hike up the dune. The view from the top is said to be the most photographed place on the Oregon Coast. Well, okay, it was pretty good!





The sandstone was beautiful. 

The hike to the top of the dune was fun. 



Yes, it is as steep as it looks! The walk/slide back down was more fun. 

When I got back to Tilmann, I was getting ready to put my shoes back on when I saw the family I’d met on the Cape Trail yesterday. I went over to say hi. Bill’s parents were with them, so I got to meet them too. It was fun to see them again!

Carmen, one of the gals at Cape Lookout last night rolled in. I told her she had to go up the dune. Not sure if she did. 

I went over to the Stimulus Bakery and had what would be almost the only food I would eat until dinner (did have a Bobo’s Oat bar around 3:30). I guess it filled me up!

I stopped at Safeway in Lincoln City to get some groceries, then continued on south. This being Friday, Lincoln City was pretty busy. I was happy to get out of town. 

I had three major climbs today. Cape Lookout right off the bat (2 1/2 miles), then Slab Creek (Old 101) to get over Cascade Head, and finally Cape Foulweather. All three are great climbs, but Cape Foulweather was my favorite. It has more views. 


Just as I was beginning the climb I saw this bald eagle being pestered by several other birds. 





It just kept floating on the wind, pretty much ignoring the other birds. 

I arrived at Beverly Beach around 5:30. Clemens (or maybe it is Clement...he’s French) was already here. None of the others from Cape Lookout came here tonight. There are two other guys here. Don is a 68 year old guy with Alzheimer’s (early onset since his 40s). For the third summer now, he has ridden his bike to the Coast from Salem. He spends about 10 days riding back and forth between Waldport and Lincoln City. This year he has a friend with him kind of watching out for him. But, Don does pretty good. We had a nice evening of chatting. He repeated a few things, but that’s okay. 

Even though it was a pretty long day, it was awesome! The weather was perfect with a great tailwind, and I got to do something I hadn’t done, and see a part of the Coast I hadn’t seen (just had to climb a huge dune to see it). 



No comments: