Friday, June 14, 2019

OSBT-The rest of Day 4 and Day 5

Let’s see...where were we...oh yes, I published the last post from Tolovana. 

After the nice break I had to do some more climbing. Okay, a lot more climbing. Arch Cape, Cape Falcon, and the climb up to the viewpoint that looks down to Manzanita. Arch Cape also has a tunnel. Of course, it’s an uphill tunnel. 

I pushed the button, then took off like a mad woman. There was a lot of traffic in the tunnel. Even the smallest car sounds like a roaring freight train. Needless to say, it was very very loud with all that traffic. I’ve always wondered how long the lights continue to flash that let motorists know there is a cyclist in the tunnel. This time, I actually remembered to look back when I exited the tunnel. The lights were still flashing, so the answer is...long enough. 

I kept climbing, then losing elevation just to climb again. It’s nothing I haven’t done before, but it is tiring. Plus, it was really warm. I cherished the shade. 

When I arrived at the last real climb, the viewpoint down to Manzanita, there were two other cyclists there, Georgina and Don from Canada. They had just started in Cannon Beach. They are doing the Trans Am. I saw them later at Nehalem Bay. 

There were about 6 cyclists at Nehalem Bay (including me). I only met one other beside Georgina and Don. It was a kid named Luke from Boulder, CO. He’s also doing the Trans Am. 

This time I actually went out to the beach for the sunset. It was quite nice. 


I slept really good even though when I went to bed about 9:45 it was still about 80 degrees! I did not cover up with my quilt until much later. 

I hit the road again about 8:15. In Wheeler, I saw these Rail Riders getting ready to go. 

It’s like recumbent bikes on the rails. 

In Wheeler, I also passed one of the guys I had camped with, but not met, last night. I met him later on In Rockaway Beach. He is Mark from Montreal. He started in Winnipeg. 

In Barview, I stopped for a snack at a little market. I had some coconut lime kombucha. It was really good! As I was eating my snack, this train went by. 

I hope it wasn’t going as far as Wheeler!

Next stop was the Tillamook Creamery. 

They have built a whole new visitors area. It’s much nicer and way more efficient. Since it was near enough to noon, I got some lunch. 

A nice Oregon Shrimp salad. 

Don’t worry, I also got ice cream. Amazingly, I only got one scoop. But, then again, ice cream doesn’t always sit well with me, and I still had a Cape to climb!

After a quick resupply at Fred Meyer, I headed out to do the Three Capes Scenic Route. For years, the route up to Cape Meares from Bayocean Rd has been closed due to slides. However, bikes can get through. 

It’s a heck of a two mile climb, but without cars it was great!

Just a couple of short sections of gravel (notice how the road has slumped). 

I popped out at the road that goes down to the lighthouse. I knew I’d have to climb back up, but what was the point of doing the route if I didn’t go to the lighthouse?





Notice the rocks are upside down. 

Walking back to the parking area, I spied this. 


I also went up to the Octopus Tree. 


From the lighthouse I still had plenty of ups and downs to Cape Lookout. I arrived about 4:30. Mark is here, and several others that I don’t know. I’m staying two nights with the plan of hiking to the actual Cape tomorrow. 











No comments: