Friday, July 19, 2013

It's A Little Strange

Well...I made it! I left Blu-Shastin RV Park at 8:30 this morning, and rode the remaining 26 miles to the cabin.

The first 7 miles were downhill to Hwy 2. That was nice. Not long after turning toward Leavenworth on Hwy 2, I could have turned and gone through Peshastin. However, I wanted to stop in Leavenworth at Starbucks to post yesterday's blog. Also, going through Peshastin, although beautiful, is a lot more hilly. I'm sure we will do that ride sometime this week...without all the gear!

After my Starbucks stop, it was time to conquer the Chumstick. I first stopped at Euro Sports Bike Shop just out of town. My rear bar-end shifter is loose at the end of the H-Bar. I needed a longer 5mm hex wrench than what my multi-tool has. 

Who should I see as I pulled up to the shop?
It's Tessa, my race bike! How did she get here??? Wait, I think this one is a little smaller. I guess it's just a lookalike.

The hex wrench did not tighten the shifter. I'll have to deal with it when I get home. I don't think it's going to fall out. 

The Chumstick is 13ish miles of gradual climbing with a steeper part at the end. They were repainting the stripes on the road, so I had the lovely aroma of fresh paint.

Climbing the part at the end from the Leavenworth side is not nearly as difficult as coming from the Plain side. In fact, I didn't even drop into my small chainring! And that was with all my gear! Maybe I'm just stronger...

The downhill into Plain was awesome, as usual. I stopped at the Plain Grocery Store. I was pretty much out of food, so I picked up a frozen pizza for dinner tonight (and probably lunch tomorrow). I figured I could get to the cabin soon enough before it thawed.

I arrived at the cabin and went to retrieve the key. key. I called Lorraine. She called her brother-in-law. He said he was sure he had put the key back. I searched again, this time shoving my fingers in until, sure enough, I found the key. It had fallen into the dirt. 

I now had access to the cabin. Next was to turn on the water. This is normally my task at the cabin, so shouldn't have been a problem. Long story short, I couldn't see the correct gate valve and was, instead, turning another one that did not do anything. Another phone call to Lorraine's bro-in-law. Ah yes, now I got it! Water is on!

The cabin doesn't get a lot of use. The deck was covered in pine needles and small branches. I swept them off and also de-cobwebbed the outhouse. 

Those chores now done, it was time to take myself to the pool. There is a community pool, and it is wonderful!

After a swim, I showered (also wonderful), and came back to the cabin. Now I am sitting in the cabin, all by myself. I gotta say, it's a little strange being here alone. In all the years (I think this is the 10th year) I've been coming here, I've never been here alone (why would I? It's not my cabin!). It's very quiet...

Later, when the neighbors get home, I'll go tell them I'm here so they don't freak out when they see Betsy, but no car.

Lorraine and Annette will be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I will the quiet...of the cabin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...