Sunday, January 21, 2024

1/21-The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald…

Okay…not the Edmund Fitzgerald. Really, it’s the wreck of the Marjory Glen. 

Because we couldn’t return the pickup today (Domingo), we went to Punta Loyola to see the Buque Marjory Glen. 

It was a ship that was carrying coal. It caught fire, and that was the end of the Marjory Glen. There she lay, forevermore, near the mouth of the Rio Gallegos. 

Pretty big ship. 

Looking inside through a rusted hole. 

La Punta on the other side of the mouth of the Rio Gallegos. 

After checking out the wreck, we drove back to the strangest place. It is called Zona Franca, and it is a shopping mall. 



What is weird about a shopping mall, you ask? Well, for one thing, it’s in the middle of nowhere. Secondly, and even more weird, it’s mostly a Duty Free shop (like at the airport). Best we can figure out, is that we are not far from the Chilean border. Maybe Chileans come to shop here??? To get into the Duty Free part, we had to put the backpacks and my fanny pack into locked bags, that we then carried with us. I even had to put my sunglasses in the bag. The above photo is outside the duty free part (no cameras allowed inside). They had similar things to what an airport duty free shop would have…perfume, alcohol, chocolate, etc. They had prices in pesos and USD. There was a big Toblerone bar on sale for 40% off. I thought if I bought it, and paid USD, that I would get pesos in change. So I paid with a $20. Nope, she gave me USD in change. I even asked if I could get pesos in change. Nope. I guess it was worth a try. Still, it was weird. 

We came back into town, and went for lunch at the same coffee shop we first went to when we arrived in Rio Gallegos. A few minutes in to waiting for our food, the power went out (the power was out at our apartment this morning). I thought maybe we couldn’t pay with debit cards. I was going to offer to pay in USD (to get pesos in change). Nope, the card machine was working. Power was out at the apartment again, but now it’s back on. 

Markus and Alex are going to drive Mathias and Carmilla to the Chile border (then they will cycle on). Hopefully, it won’t be too windy for them to ride. It’s about an hour and a half to the border. 

Tomorrow the car goes back, then I don’t know what we will do for that day and Tuesday. 



No comments: