Tuesday, January 30, 2024

1/29-Our Last Night Camping!

The night before was my best night’s sleep in my tent. Last night was worst night’s sleep in my tent. There was a cacophony of dogs barking, people yelling, and cars going by all around us. In addition, my tent was on quite a slope, and it was not comfortable. Ah well…I should sleep good tonight. 

We started our day with breakfast at the panadería. 

I had a ham and cheese empanada, a pastry, some hot chocolate, and some juice. I also got an empanada to have for lunch. I forgot to mention that I swapped my Chilean pesos for Argentina pesos with Ben. I was telling him I needed to exchange my Chilean pesos in Ushuaia. He did he needed some (and had been wondering how he would get them). I had 77,000. He gave me 80,000 ARG (that is eighty 1000 bills…the Argentine govt is talking about making a 10,000 peso bill, but they haven’t yet. That’s also why you can’t get very much money from the ATMs…they can’t hold that many bills). Anyway, I can now pay in efectivo instead of using my card. 

We were all packed up before breakfast, so afterwards we just got on the road. It was about 8:15. We seem to get going earlier and earlier (even though we get up at the same time). 

Today we were guaranteed a headwind, but for a lot of the morning there was very little wind. That all changed just before lunch. 

We spent most of the day riding along Lago Fognano. It’s a big lake. 

With the lake and the mountains (and trees) we were thinking we were back in Chile again. 




The road was primarily up and down, but there were only three climbs that initiated the climb profile (the third one, we only did part of it…the rest will be first thing tomorrow, and it’s a long one).

We stopped for a break after about 17kms. 



The bikes by the road. 

Not a bad view. 

Later we came to this sign. 

You know what that means! We are almost to the end of the world!

Shortly after, we stopped for lunch at this shrine thing. 

We say on the side that blocked the wind. 

The trees had those parasite things. 

They look like Christmas balls. 

We got back on the road. A lot of the trucks today gave us no space. It got so we would get off onto the gravel shoulder. Fortunately, it wasn’t too loose. Then we would get back on the road until the next, “TRUCK!” would be yelled. 

We made one more stop at a cafe on Laguna Verde. 

From there it was an 8 kilometer ride into the wind to where we are spending our final night camping. We also got a view of the climb tomorrow. It will be epically beautiful. 

See the road in the distance?

It’s a nice wild camp spot for our last night in our tents. 

The lake is a bit too cold (and windy) for swimming, but my feet went in to get water to filter. 

We will enjoy our last night camping. Tomorrow…USHUAIA!!!

Buenas noches de Lago Escondido. 









No comments: