Friday, January 5, 2024

1/5-Tomorrow We Leave!!!

Today we are still waiting to find out if the boat goes tomorrow. In the meantime, I went to get food for the next days until El Chalten. Didn’t need much because we got here a day earlier than planned. 

I had seen another mercado when Caroline and I returned her bike yesterday. I wanted to check it out. It was closed. As I was walking back, I came across a souvenir shop. I’ve been putting stickers on Billy, and wanted a Villa O’Higgins sticker. Well, not only did I get a sticker, but I also got a t-shirt! I know, just another thing to carry, but it is cool!

Front

And the best part…the back has the whole Carretera Austral route on it! 

When I got back to the cabaña, I showed it to Alex and Markus. They wanted one too, so we went back. I had also seen another bike shop place. I took my flat pedals there. The woman who runs the place is from Michigan. I asked her if she could use the pedals. She was very happy as they always get cyclists in who need something. I was happy to give them to her (see, now I can carry a t-shirt).

The formerly closed mercado was open, so I was able to finish off my resupply. 

This just in…the boat is going tomorrow! Currently, it is sailing at 5:30AM. We have 7km to ride to get to the ferry. We will attempt to leave the cabaña at 4:30. Oh my, that’s going to be early! We’ll pack everything possible tonight. I’ll be going to bed early!!!

Here’s a couple photos from my meanderings around town today. 

The museo was open too. I took a look inside. There wasn’t much to see. It was kind of weird. There were several sewing machines, and even a big tape recorder. But, if you think about it, this is not really a very old village. The Carratera was only finished about 15 years ago. 

Look at the very top. There’s a Chilean flag.

And here’s a couple of drone photos Markus took. 

Our cabaña is the one in the middle of the three in a row. 

Villa O’Higgins from the drone. 



No comments: