Wednesday, January 31, 2024

1/31-On a Mission…For Bike Boxes

On our first full day in Ushuaia, we spent a chunk of it looking for bike boxes. We were able to score one box when I noticed bicycles in a shop window. None of the actual bike shops have any bike boxes. I think I’ll be fashioning a box out of pieces of cardboard and a whole lotta tape. But, I have some time…maybe I’ll get lucky. 

On our way back from our first foray to a close bike shop and a different mercado, we came back to this bird guarding our bicycles. 

It looks very serious don’t you think?

We also experienced the bus today. It costs 70 pesos (about 10 cents) to ride the bus. The owner of our apartment gave us a bus card that had 250 pesos on it. It was enough for the three of us to take it into town. Alex recharged the card with 5000 pesos. Not sure why so much as that is enough for 23 bus rides each! 

On the bus. 

After getting the one box, Alex and Markus took the bus back with the box to the apartment. Since we were meeting Mathias and Carmilla in town for dinner, I just stayed in town. I wanted to buy some shoes. My Berkies are great for camp shoes and short walks, but not so great for longer walks. I got some Hokas. Now, maybe I’ll even go for a power walk if it’s not raining in the mornings…

I also checked out the hostel I will be moving to on the 8th. It’s right in the center of town which will be great. The young guy at the desk, Andrew, is very nice. He speaks English better than Spanish. 

I killed more time before dinner by going to the “Ushuaia” sign. 

When I walked up, a small group of Korean tourists asked me to take their photo. I did, then they asked me if I wanted them to take my photo. I said, “Sure.”

There are lots of monuments along the shore. 

I think this is for the lives lost in the Falklands war with Great Britain. 

In the plaza looking up into the town. 

More history stuff. 

Old ship and cruise ships. The big one left sometime after I took this photo. The water is the Beagle Channel. 

I met Alex and Markus in front of the restaurant. Mathias and Carmilla joined us a little later. It was good to see them again. They were planning to take the bus up north to Mendoza, but the bus won’t take their bikes. Now they are flying to Buenos Aires on Monday. We’ll meet them once more on Sunday. 

We took a taxi back to the apartment. Don’t know what is on the agenda for tomorrow. We’ll see what the weather looks like. 





No comments: