Tuesday, January 30, 2024

1/28-Leaving the Pampa…Finally!

Even though we weren’t in a rush to get on the road this morning, we were still ready to go by 8:15. The wind wasn’t too bad either, so that was nice. Before long, we were really getting into more trees, and more hills. Whereas yesterday there were no climbs that initiated the climb profile, today there were three. 

The last of the Pampa. 

Break time. 

So much greenness!

And mountains…with snow!!! Are we back in Chile???

Water!

Since we only had 37 kms to Tolhuin, we arrived pretty early.  We stopped at this sculpture garden. 





Uh…it’s art. 

Condor

He’s got the whole world in his hand. 

Still lupine!

Alex having a seat. 

Another interesting thing. There are lots of things about this doctor. Don’t quite know why. 

We were planning to camp at a campground, but we wanted to check out La Union Casa de Ciclista and Panadería. I mean…a place for cyclists AND a panadería! We pulled up, and a young man named Franco came running out and immediately asked us if we wanted to stay. So the Casa de Ciclista part was down in the basement of the building where they did all the baking for the panadería. Alex and Markus went with Franco to check it out. It wasn’t great. Instead they asked if we could camp. Franco said we could camp in the yard of the house next door. There was a baño and a shower in the bakery building we could use. The actual panadería was across the street. 

The panadería is a very popular place. The choices were almost overwhelming. Since, by then, it was about 11:00, I opted for a pollo empanada and a churro (filled with dulce de leche…side note…everything is filled or has dulce de leche in Argentina). Both were good. We used the WiFi to book a place in Ushuaia for the three of us, and then I booked a hostel for the week I will be there by myself. 

We set up our tents in the backyard of the house. 

My tent is on a bit of a slope. 

The building on the left is where they do all the baking. 

We all took showers. It always feels good when you haven’t had a shower (even if only for one night). It’s going to be much different from last night. We are kind of right in the middle of town. Last night was so quiet. Tonight I don’t think so. 

We went to a small mercado. I needed some sort of protein to go with my dinner. I got a couple of eggs. I’ll fry them in my fry pan, and have them with some mashed potatoes. Gourmet…I know. 

Currently keeping them in my shoe for protection. 

We went back to the panadería. We met a British guy named Ben. He’s been cycling for at least a couple of years. Seems to have been everywhere. He’s traveling really light since someone stole his panniers. He did finally buy a new tent, but hasn’t really replaced anything else. He said the only thing he really misses is his solar panel. 

From Tolhuin, we have two more days until we get to Ushuaia. Seems strange that we are just a little over 100kms away. But, I’m glad to be done with the Pampa. I’m even glad to be climbing hills again!


No comments: