Monday, February 12, 2024

2/12-Who Woulda Thought…

I would know someone coming into Ushuaia on a cruise ship! Awhile ago I saw on Facebook that some friends were in Buenas Aíres. I commented saying they were at the beginning of Ruta 3 and I was at the other end! Turns out they were doing a cruise to Antártica. I asked if they were coming to Ushuaia. They were, but not until Feb 12th. Well, I am here until the 15th! I’ve been following their trip, and we made a plan to meet for lunch when they got to Ushuaia. 

Today’s the day, and we met at Tante Sara after they did a tour into the park. They did the Tren Del Fin del Mundo, and a bus tour to the end of Ruta 3. Sounds like renting the car like Alex, Markus, and I did, was a better idea. 

After lunch they wanted to get a couple of souvenirs. We took this group photo outside of the big souvenir store. 

Taunya, Jim, Penguin, and me. 

We walked a bit along San Martín, then went down toward the water. Apparently, tomorrow is a holiday, but I can’t seem to find out what the holiday is. Anyway, part of the main road is closed down, and there was loud music playing. Also, earlier this morning, I tried to go get more tape at the Imcofue store, but they are closed today and tomorrow. 

We walked to the “Ushuaia” sign, and I took their photo for them. Then we walked back to the port. They had to be back to the ship at 4:30. When we got to the port entrance, there was a long line waiting to go through Port Security. They got in line. Then a guy comes by and says the line is only for the Holland America boat (its anchored out in the bay, so they have to take the tenders from the port. Jim and Taunya are on the Regents Seven Seas. We walked up to the security entrance where we said our goodbyes. 

Long line for security, but only theHolland America boat. 

Regent Seven Seas. 

It was really great to see someone I know in Ushuaia! They said it was great to see the town with a “local” (yes, I’ve been here too long). 

Even though I wasn’t able to get more tape today, I did go ahead and pack Billy in the box. I just need to reinforce the box with some better tape. I’ll get that after this mysterious holiday. Three more days, then I’ll be headed home!

Here’s a couple of random photos…



Soon I will be saying adios Ushuaia!


No comments: