Thursday, February 8, 2024

2/8-Goodbyes and New Digs

The day has come to say goodbye to my dear friends and traveling companions, Alex and Markus. Not gonna lie, I’m very sad. I think it would be easier if I was leaving too (I’d still be sad, but I would be busy). While Alex and Markus enjoy a week of warm weather in Buenas Aires, I will spend another week here in Ushuaia. As I mentioned before, it was far cheaper for me to spend an extra week here than to fly this week, even with paying for the hostel ($200 for the week).

Last night we went to a very nice restaurant for our last dinner together. It was called Kaupé. I had the Chicken Bengali. It was delicious. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to take any photos. Before dinner, I was able to drop off the stack of cardboard at the hostel. We still had some time to kill before the restaurant opened. 

In front of one of the big souvenir shops. 

With everything packed, they just had to wait for the van and taxi to arrive this morning. 

Sure won’t be hard to spot these bags!

The van and taxi arrived, and everything was loaded up. 

Violeta is out the door!





The van carried the bikes and the bags. 

With hugs (and a few tears) all around, we said our goodbyes and safe travels. It’s been an amazing time with Alex and Markus here in South America. We’ve had some incredible experiences together, and I’m so so glad I got to adventure with them. Their previous travels in South America made it easy for me. I don’t think our roles changed much from the beginning. Alex remained the “Booking Queen”, Markus the “Master Route Planner”, and me providing annoying entertainment. 

One final selfie together. We took one at the beginning in Puerto Montt. Our hair is longer! 


Goodbye my friends! I WILL see you again!!!

Funny thing…just as I got back into the apartment, the power went out. It came back on after a bit, but the WiFi didn’t. Once I got everything packed onto Billy, and the dishes done, it was about 10:45. With nothing else to do, I decided to head to town. 

Billy loaded up for the last time. 

I couldn’t check in until 1:00, so I decided to have some lunch first. On the way into town, I stopped at the Ushuaia sign. Billy wanted his picture taken in front of the sign. 

Here ya go, Billy!

I went to Tante Sara for lunch. Then I rolled over to the hostel. I’m in a 4-bed room with, currently, two others. The one guy, Taku from Japan, leaves tonight at midnight. Fortunately I have a bottom bunk. 





Billy is locked up outside. 

If the weather is as good as forecasted on Saturday, I think I’ll go for a ride. I want to see if I can ride far enough to see the lighthouse out in the Beagle Channel. I’m not sure if the road goes far enough. I already took the rear rack off, and the Pronghorn harness and one feed bag. I might leave the frame bag on until after I’m done riding. 

Now I suppose I should go to the grocery store and get something for dinner…maybe something to go with my cous cous.







No comments: