Tuesday, February 13, 2024

2/13-I Can Still Hear the Drums


Carnaval Del Fin Del Mundo!

I took myself for a walk this afternoon to see what was happening on the Carnaval scene. I walked down to the water. I could hear the drums long before I could see them. 

I made it to the stage where a couple were saying something I couldn’t make out. I think maybe they were talking about the various drum groups. I moved on down a bit. 

This group had some dancers in front of them. I did some video that I’ll post on FB. 

I continued down the street looking for a better vantage point. 

Waiting to perform? Or done?

That’s a good spot up there, but where I was ended up being pretty good too. 

This group was pretty enthusiastic…



Except for this little guy. I think his dad was the leader. The woman behind him was really enthusiastic. 

One thing that I could see the kids really enjoying was spraying streams of foam. 

This little kid was especially enjoying it. 

People had the stuff all over them. Fortunately, I emerged un-foamed (afterall, I only have a few clothes), and headed up to San Martin before I got caught in the foam crossfire. 

I’m back in my room in the hostal, and I can still hear the drums. I would have looked to see if a panaderĂ­a was selling King cakes, but my stomach has not been happy the past couple of days, so I thought it best not to add that to my system. Instead, yogurt, banana, and crackers, washed down with electrolytes, has been my Fat Tuesday sustenance. 

I arranged my transport to the airport on Thursday. It’s another Jorge (I was driven to the apartment in Puerto Montt by a Jorge). I think it’s funny that my bookend transports have both been guys named Jorge. 

Tomorrow I’ll be able to get more tape (of a stronger form) to further tape up my flimsy bike box. Might end up looking like more tape than cardboard. Oh, and there are two Italian cyclists here who have also finished. They asked me where I got my bike box. I told them how we found ours, and wished them luck. 




No comments: