Saturday, February 10, 2024

2/10-A Final Little Bike Ride and Building a Box

This morning I said goodbye to my roommate, Miranda, from Holland. She was taking the bus to Punta Arenas, then Puerto Natales to hike in Torres Del Paine. After both Miranda and I had gone to bed last night (but we weren’t asleep, just reading), we got a new roommate. He is “Feliz” from Turkey. Happy guy. He’s been traveling for two years. He doesn’t appear to be hiking, and he’s not cycling. He came on the bus from Rio Gallegos. He’s been all the places we went (in Argentina). Seems like a nice guy. 

Today's weather has been spectacular. High 60s. I decided to take advantage and go for a ride. I wanted to see if I could ride toward where the lighthouse is in the Beagle Channel. I had doubts I’d be able to get far enough. 

A naval boat watering the…water. 

Onto gravel now and looking back at Ushuaia. 

Playa Larga Reserve. 

And there’s camping! I could see numerous sites. 

Here’s an indication of how much the wind blows. Today, however, there was no wind!

People are swimming!!! Don’t they know how close we are to Antártica???

Channel marker for the Beagle Channel. Not the lighthouse. 

Selfie time. 

End of the road. I probably could have ridden a bit further, but due to the nice weather, and it being Saturday, there were lots of hikers…oh and the fact that I don’t like singletrack. I opted to turn around. 

Before I did, I took this photo of a Norwegian Cruise ship. 

I wonder if I could sell it to the cruise line?

I rode the gravel back to the pavement. It was dust bomb after dust bomb. Fortunately, I had my dust bomb protector. 
Once I got back to the pavement, I decided I didn’t want to go back the same way (no choice on the gravel part). I continued up the hill (this is the road we had come down on our way into Ushuaia). It’s so much easier without all the gear. I actually enjoyed it. I got up to the roundabout where Ruta 3 continues out of Ushuaia, and back into town. Obviously, I headed back into town. This was a part of Ruta 3 that we didn’t ride. I was going along, when I noticed there was a bike path on the other side of the road. I made a quick turn over to the bike path. 

How nice is this?

Ruta 3 stays above Ushuaia, while Perito Moreno (the road we came into Ushuaia on) follows the water. 

With perfect timing, the bike path ended at a roundabout where I needed to go left to get back to the hostel. 

It wasn’t a very long ride, but it was quite enjoyable. 

After I got back and took a shower, I fixed some lunch. Then it was time for the real work of today…building Billy’s box for flying home. Even though I’m not leaving until the 15th, I wanted to get the box built while it was sunny. Rain is forecast for tomorrow (100%). There’s not room indoors to build the box. I had drawn out a plan, so I got to work. The box needed to be taller, wider, and longer. The biggest change was in the length and width. It was very close to being tall enough. 

It took me three hours and three complete rolls of duct tape (it would be nice if they made the rolls a little more than 9 meters). I still have the majority of one roll, but I think I’m going to need to get another roll for taping the box closed, and generally reinforcing. I had plenty of cardboard, and didn’t even use one of the boxes. 

Once I got a pretty good semblance of a box, I took Billy’s pedals off and rolled him in to see how much I would need to lengthen the box. That end will need the most reinforcing once Billy’s inside and taped up. 

I’ve gotten it as far as I can for now. I did some rearranging in the room, and bright the box inside. 

I’ll probably pack Billy the next nice day (Tuesday or Wednesday). Everything is already off (bags, fenders, pedals, and the kickstand) that can be taken off now. Putting him in the box will be much faster than building the box!

It was a lot of work, but I’m glad I’ve got it done!




No comments: