Sunday, October 17, 2010

Donuts, Friends and Caterpillars

Another stellar Fall day for riding! Met Amy, Tony and Dawn on the trail at the bridge at 10:00. We rode north on the trail to the Woodland trail where we headed downtown. When we got to the "Homeless Bathrooms" we decided to ride up 4th Ave. to Twisted Donuts, get donuts and ride over to Jill's and have a "Donut Picnic" in front of her house since she bagged off riding with us. Since I couldn't choose just one, I had a maple old fashioned and a chocolate with maple drizzle donut. YUM!!!

We took our donuts to Jill's (Dawn took one for her) and we ate them in her front yard. Then we headed back. Amy needed to get home. She peeled off at her street and Tony, Dawn and I continued to Rich Rd. Tony and Dawn turned off to there street and I continued on. At that point we had ridden 16 miles. That's not enough when I've eaten 2 donuts! I rode over to 99 then up McCorkle/113th to Littlerock Rd. From there I backtracked slightly to 110th then headed to Delphi and up to Waddell Creek Rd. on 105th. It was on 105th where Stella met her new friend. Stella seemed to feel a kinship as she considers herself a workhorse. After some petting we got back on the road.
After riding past all the gunslingers on Waddell Creek Rd. I headed back down to Delphi. At 62nd I stopped to call Lorraine. Since she was home, I rode up to her house. That meant going up Cedar Flats which is anything but flat. The last time I rode up there I was considerably heavier and riding my hybrid. I about had a heart attack. This time I managed to make it up the steepest part of Cedar Flats without getting off my middle ring! Of course, when I got to the gravel part of Maple Valley Rd. I was down to the small ring and having a tough time getting traction. I made to the bottom of their driveway then walked up the gazillion % grade that is their driveway.

We had a nice visit (Lorraine's parents were down from Bothell) and I left there and headed for home (I hit 40 mph coming down Cedar Flats).

Made it home by 6:00. 58 miles!

Oh, as for the caterpillars. They were everywhere on the road--the black and orange fuzzy ones. Tried not to hit any, but for some it was too late. Why did the caterpillar cross the road???

No comments: