Monday, September 25, 2023

This is Now “Rain Fall Down the WA Coast”-Day 3

We haven’t even made it to Oregon yet! Today was yet another full day of riding in the rain. I have set a new personal record of wearing my rain gear the most days in a row (yes, I have ridden in rain more than three days in a row, but not all rain all day). I’m becoming quite used to wearing full rain gear. Am I staying dry? Well, not fully, but as well as can be expected. 

In truth, it wasn’t raining this morning when we got up. 

This is one of a total of three photos I took today. This was the view of the Willapa Bay from the campground. 

Due to setting my tent up in the shelter, it was about 98% dry this morning. Speaking of my tent, I can’t remember if I mentioned that I am testing the 1 person version of the Big Agnes Bikepacking tent. So far, it’s a doable option. It would be nice if it wasn’t raining ALL THE TIME, as the 1-person means I only have one vestibule to pile wet stuff under. I find it has a reasonable amount of space inside. The gear loft and pockets really increase the space. All my clothes that I wear to ride fit in the loft pocket. Glasses, headlamp, Garmin, etc, fit in the overhead pockets. And other bits fit in the side pocket. I still have room beside my sleeping pad to put other stuff. It’s not at all coffin-like, as a previous 1-person tent I had. So, even in the rain, it’s pretty good. 

Right there in the middle of the shelter was where my tent was. 

Our plan for today was to get going as early as possible. I really wanted to get to the Astoria-Megler Bridge before noon. The forecast was not the best. Gale force winds, rain, and the potential for thunderstorms. I suggested an 8:00am start. We almost made it…8:20. There was one little problem…there was a detour. I thought we could still make it. What I forgot, was the number of hills, and, okay, the distance was a bit ambitious. The detour was because there is a mud slide on 401. We were going to go that way. Instead, we would have to go toward Ilwaco. We wouldn’t have to go all the way to Ilwaco, just to the cut-off. I was hopeful we could still make it. 

Matt is much faster (I knew this would be the case). Sue and I came upon him. He was pumping up his rear tire. He wasn’t sure if there was a puncture, or if the tire was just low (he’s running Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass, which is the same tire as the Naches Pass…and, we know how well that worked out on the Trans Am). Anyway, he pumped up the tire, and we started out again, except we didn’t get anywhere because the tire was definitely not holding air. Time to change the tube. At least, it wasn’t raining hard at the time. 

Repair in process. 

We got it changed and everything loaded back on the bike. Sue had taken off. I waited to make sure Matt’s tire was good. A short distance later, it seemed to be squishy, but it just needed more air. 

At this point, there was no way we would make it to the bridge before noon (probably wouldn’t have made it anyway…no…definitely wouldn’t have made it). So, time for a change of plans. We would go to Cape Disappointment. 

We continued slogging our way through the wind and rain. A mile before the cut off, there was a sign saying “Coffee 1 mile”. I was sure Matt would be there, and I knew Sue would want to get coffee too. Sure enough, when I got there, Matt was waiting as expected. I got some hot chocolate and a hot caprese sandwich. It was delicious! Sue joined us and did get coffee. 

Once we were fed, we continued on toward Ilwaco. At the intersection to go left to Ilwaco or right to Long Beach, there was a sign saying there was a Best Western 1 mile right. We decided to go there. We really needed to dry stuff out, and I don’t really like the raccoons at Cape Disappointment (one put holes in my tent last year). 

So, we aré comfortably settled at the Best Western. Laundry has been done, wet stuff has been dried (or in the process). Tomorrow we will aim to get to the bridge before noon. Oh, and the forecast? Rain, of course!



No comments: