Sunday, July 10, 2011

Happiness is...

...finding out you are on the right road when you were not so sure.

Today I had two rather longish climbs. What made them a bit more challenging was that I was carrying an extra 2 1/2 liters of water. The campground I am at tonight does not have water.

The first batch of miles were no problem as far as knowing I was on the right road. I had turned onto FR 46 at Detroit on Detroit Lake. After about 38 miles, my map narrative said to "cross bridge and make a right onto FR 42". I crossed a bridge and made a right onto the road after the bridge. I would not have questioned whether I was on 42 or not, except that it was a narrow, pretty much, one lane road and I didn't see a sign saying it was FR 42. Right off the bat I started climbing. There were no cars. The road was nicely paved, but it seemed strange for the route to be on such a narrow road. I kept reassuring myself that this must be the right way, but...there was that annoying doubt. Finally, there was a road that came to the road I was on and, low and behold, there was a sign saying I was on FR 42! I felt such relief! I didn't even mind that I was having to climb...for a little while. Then, it started to get tedious. Still, not too many cars. In all, I saw 5 cars going down and 4 going up.

I can tell I'm back in the Northwest as there are lots of wild Rhodies in bloom on the side of the road. All are pink. There was also this whitish puff ball looking plant.

When I got to my planned campground (Summit Lake), the sign said it was closed. Ordinarily, that wouldn't stop me, but the mostly gravel road was up a steep hill. I decided to continue on to the next campground, even though the map said reservations were required. I don't know why the map says reservations are required. Maybe because it is also a horse camp--meaning they have sites with corrals for horses (or maybe small children??). There are plenty of empty sites. I chose site 27. It's my favorite number, but more importantly, I am somewhat hidden from the road. I'm hoping to not have to pay since it costs $18 (for vault toilets and no water--I don't think so!). It is 7:15 and no one has come by...

Tomorrow I will get to Hood River. I have a new plan...

No comments: