Monday, February 13, 2012

In Search of a Flag

Today my quest was for a small Washington State flag. I thought I would start with the Capitol Campus Visitor Center. I rode Stella there, parked her in front and went in to see if they had any flags. They had alot of brochures, but no flags. I asked the volunteer if she had any ideas where I could find a small WA State flag. I told her I wanted to put it on the back of my bike along with a US flag that I already had for my trip to New Zealand. As soon as I mentioned New Zealand, she got this big smile on her face and said I would love it! Her and her husband had spent some time in New Zealand. We talked about the various cool places in New Zealand. She was impressed that I would be doing the South Island alone. I told her about my other solo bike trips and how great it was to meet all kinds of people. After several minutes I mentioned that I have this blog. I wrote down my blog address for her. She said again how impressed she was and gave me a most awesome hug! What a nice gal! Even in my own town I find perfect strangers who take an interest in what I am doing! As for the flag, she suggested I try the Gift Shop in the Legislative Building where I was successful in my quest for a small Washington State flag.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Another wonderful example of the great people encounters you can have when you are a bicycle tourist!