Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 27--Riding the Ginstleden Cykelspåret

We awoke to another great day of sunshine (actually, it gets light at about 4:30--wakes me up every morning. I look at my watch, pull my sleeping bag over my head, and go back to sleep). The wind wasn't too bad, so we cooked breakfast on a big wooden platform.

Since my Garmin was at only 26% battery, we tried not to use it. We managed to make it through Falkenberg without any wrong turns. We were looking for the Ginstleden Cykelspåret, also known as the North Sea Bike Route. We rode right to the route! 
This is an excellent route! It is very well signed, and kept us away from the busy road. It took us along the North Sea Coast, so it was great scenery too!

We stopped at a little beachside grocery for our mid-morning snack. I got a bottle of apple juice. Here in Sweden, they recycle plastic bottles the same way Oregon does cans. You pay an additional amount (usually 1 Krone) when you buy it, but every store has a machine where you can return the bottle, and take the receipt and get your Krone back. So, after I drank my apple juice, I decide to try this machine. You push the green button and stick the bottle in. It rolls around, and, in my case, spit the bottle back out. I tried a few times, but the same thing happened. I went into the store to ask the guy. He came out, did exactly what I did, only this time it took it. Then I took the receipt in and got my Krone back. Cool!

In Varberg, the route took us along the water. We saw this old fortress.

And, this interesting boat (turns out it was French--we were taking photos, and a guy told us about the boat).
Like how I got both the boat and the bird?

We continued following the Ginstleden. There was no guess-work involved. The route was always on paved roads...until it wasn't.
We had about a kilometer of gravel. It was fine--just added to the diversity of the route.

Yes, it was very well-signed, also...until it wasn't. The last sign we saw was to get on the busier road. From there to Kungsbacka, I didn't see another sign. That was okay, because I knew we were going through Kungsbacka anyway. I was riding along. I hadn't seen Christian for awhile, so I pulled over under some trees in the shade to wait. Then I noticed there were some ruins of some sort. So I walked up to have a look.

It looks like it was a church.

I went back to Betsy. I still couldn't see Christian coming. I continued to wait. After about 15 more minutes, I finally saw him coming. When he got to me, he said he was looking for me. He said he saw a bike route sign (but not the Ginstleden) and thought he should turn there. When he didn't see me, he went back. Finally, he came along the busy road again until he found me. I'm not sure why he thought I would turn when there wasn't a route sign. Also, I would never turn unless it was absolutely clear that that was the way to go. Anyway, I had a nice long break.

We rode the rest of the way into Kungsbacka. Christian wanted to book his flight home. First we went to the Visitor's Center to ask where there was a travel agency (I will just book my flight from Stavenger to Aberdeen online). It was at the big shopping center (aka, the Mall). Oh, on our way to the Visitors Center, I saw a Subway. I stopped and got a cookie. Now I can check Sweden off the list.

After finishing at the Travel Agency, we headed out of town. We wanted to get a little further before finding a campground. After we were out of Kungsbacka, I looked on the Garmin for camping sites nearby. The closest one in the direction we wanted to go was 9.7 miles away. That was kind of far considering we were already over 60 miles, but...whaddya gonna do? Actually, I was feeling pretty good.

We made it to Liseberg Askim Strand Camping. It is another one of those places that requires the camping card. The cost of the card was the same as at the other place, but the camping is cheaper (145 Kr vs. 350 at the other place last night). Also, we found out the card can be used all over Europe. So, we went ahead and got it. 

This place is on the water again.
Not as nice of a beach as last night, but not bad.

Tomorrow we go into Göteborg (in English, Gotthenburg). Then we will continue toward Norway. We will probably still be in Sweden one more night. 

Total miles today: 73.5


2 comments:

melody said...

Beautiful area ! I like the recycling machine and hope we learn from them....we have a ways to go. Thanks for all of the fun tidbits you add--I love following your adventure Colleen! The beaches and terrain is beautiful. We had a great week ride in Bend, Oregon with lots of climbing, great food and perfect weather..75 degrees F -not to hot for me even! Happy solstice week!
Love
Melody

melody said...

Beautiful area ! I like the recycling machine and hope we learn from them....we have a ways to go. Thanks for all of the fun tidbits you add--I love following your adventure Colleen! The beaches and terrain are beautiful. We had a great week riding in Bend, Oregon with lots of climbing, great food and perfect weather..75 degrees F -not to hot for me even. It was a group of 43 riders, well organized, very scenic routes to McKenzie Pass, Smith Rocks, Elk Lake and various other climbs. I hope to do it next year with you along for the fun.! Happy solstice week!
Love
Melody