Thursday, August 17, 2017

Aug 15--Day 64--And Bernie Makes 15

I've been thinking I should be seeing more eastbound cyclists. Today I got my wish. Out of the no-services town of Fingal, I saw a touring cyclist coming toward me. I crossed the road to say hi. It was a woman named Ann. She said she was with a group of 15. They were an Adventure Cycling group doing the self-contained Northern Tier/North Lakes/Lake Erie Connector Route from Anacortes to Bar Harbor.

 

While we were talking, the next guy in the group rolled up. That was Mark. We chatted a bit more, then went on our respective ways. Number 3 waved and said hi, but didn't stop. Rick, number 4, stopped, and we chatted, exchanged blog/journal addresses, and took photos of each other. I didn't think to take a picture of Ann and Mark.

Rick

 

 

I rolled on, and before too long numbers 5 and 6 rolled up. We chatted for a bit. I got these guy's picture, but didn't get their names. Number 7 was a gal on a recumbent. She waved but didn't stop. Number 8 also waved, but didn't stop. Nine and Ten were going down a hill (as I was going up). We didn't stop, but they did shout encouraging words to me.

Numbers 5 & 6

 

 

Number 11 was in the parking lot of the cafe in Wallaceville. He was talking to a guy who asked me how many were in my group. I said it was just me. I didn't get 11's name or photo. 

 

I had a snack at the cafe, then rolled out. It was getting close to 1:00, and there were still 4 more to go. The group was overnighting in Port Burwell, where I had come from, so I knew how many miles they had to go. Plus, they had stayed in Ridgetown, which is about 10 miles or so further than I was going tonight. Pretty soon I saw 12, 13, and 14 coming down the road. They all crossed over to me. It was Hugo (Ann's husband), Alison (the tour leader), and a young German guy (I can't remember his name). I asked where 15 was? They said he'd be coming along. Pretty soon Bernie rolled up. They figured they would arrive at Burwell around 5:00. Hugo told me there was a guy named Don going the same direction as me. He was going around Lake Erie. They said I'd catch him. 

 

I caught up to Don with about 6 miles to go for me. He was talking to a guy with a Minnesota shirt on. The guy owned a food truck that was there, but it wasn't open. However, he went in and brought me a bottle of water. Don was just on his second day of his tour. He had started in Long Point, and stayed in Port Stanley. Turns out, there is a trailer park that will allow cyclists to stay for $5. I might have gone there last night if I'd known about it.

 

Don and I rode together until I turned off in Clearville to go to the park. At the park, I went to the office. The guy said I didn't need to pay, I could just go to the tent sites. That is the only night I have camped for free in Canada!

Last night on Lake Erie--that would be Cleveland across the lake if you could see that far.

 

 

 

Tomorrow night will be my last night in Canada, then its back to the good ol' US of A! I think I've calculated my Canadian currency just right. Tomorrow, I also leave Lake Erie. Although I am camped near the lake tonight, I've not hardly seen it all day long. I just saw lots of fields, wind turbines, and TOURING CYCLISTS!!!

No comments: