Sunday, July 8, 2018

(Backup) July 8: Nearly Swept Away by Beauty (and a big wave)

Day 4 of our adventure in the Southwest began with a walk on the beach by our villa (Cathie and I). The washed up beach grass was nearly two feet high. 



That’s all beach grass.

Amongst the grass and sand was bits of coral, shells, and cuttlefish skeletons.

Sponge

Coral

Interesting bit of coral or something wrapped around a small stick.

We got on the road around 10:00 or so. We were going to work our way to Augusta. Our first stop was Yallingup Beach. This is a famous surfing beach.

Yallingup Beach

An actual surfer!

From Yallingup, we moved down the Coast to Prevelly, Gnarabup, and the mouth of the Margaret River. We drove through Prevelly, stopping briefly at the dog beach before moving on down to Gnarabup. There was a nice little cafe where we had a little snack while looking at the beautiful beach.


We went back to Surfers Point and the mouth of the Margaret River. 

Surfers Point

The mouth of the river and the beach

As we were walking over to the mouth of the river, I saw a SHARK! I managed to get this photo.


There were quite a few people at the mouth. It’s shallow enough to wade across if you time it right. I had taken my shoes off and set them on the sand while I walked in the water. A big wave came in, and I realized my shoes were going to be swept away (or at least get soaking wet). As I’m running toward my shoes, this woman in front of me gets to my shoes first and scoops them up just in time! I was ever so grateful! 

Next, we headed inland the tiniest bit and drove through the beautiful forest of Jarrah and Karra trees. 


We stopped for lunch at the Boranup Cafe and gallery. The gallery had some really nice art, and lunch was delicious.

There were also quite a few birds (real and metal)

Real Kookaburra to go with the metal one

Honey eater 

My lunch of smashed avo on sourdough with feta, grilled tomatoes, pumpkin, and pesto.

Continuing down the Coast, we pulled into Hamelin Bay. This Bay is known for its manta rays. However, at this time of year it is unusual to see any. Still, the beach was pretty speckie (as they say here).



Limestone of Hamelin Bay

More limestone 

It was time to hustle on down the rest of the way to Augusta. When we arrived in Augusta, we stopped at the mouth of the Blackwood River. I camped along the Blackwood in Bridgetown.

The river is a little wider here.

Looking toward the mouth

On our way to Cape Leeuwin, we stopped at the Waterwheel. 

The Waterwheel was built to provide water for the workers who were building the lighthouse.

I climbed up the rocks, and could see that I could walk all the way to the lighthouse along the Cape to Cape Trail. The rest of the gals drove, and I met them at the lighthouse.


Walking across the rocks

The Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse

Unfortunately, we arrived too late to go out to the Lighthouse, but it was okay. The view was still good.

Heading back

We drove back to Busselton, and had dinner at the resort restaurant. Our last full day here was as awesome as all the other days! I feel incredibly fortunate to have gotten to come to this part of Australia with three fabulous women. A squillion thanks to Cathie for arranging everything, and being our tour guide extraordinaire! 





























No comments: